• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ram Rod Length and End Pieces - Vintage Ohio Style Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMSLS1

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have a vintage Ohio Style rifle that has a ramrod with no end caps. The ramrod is probably not original, but looks very old due to the patina. It appears about 4 inches is missing. Yes I can make a new wooden rod, but the aging would not be there.

Are there any ideas if this rifle would have had brass tips? Should I make end caps to lengthen it the rod?
Rifle 02 Left Side r01.jpg
Ramrod Length.jpg
Ramrod.jpg

track of the wolf has rod ends in brass or iron(steel) you could epoxy to that rod. that would lengthen it some but it appears like the rod is pretty sloppy in the thimbles. i would reserve that rod for display and get another to use.
you need more length it appears to me just to reach charging depth.

that butt plate gives me the shivers! :oops: i have no meat on my shoulders and just know i would sometime mount and fire it wrong!

I would just make a new rod of the correct length and save that one as a bit of history. Would not surprise me if it hasn't been broken at some time in the past and that's why it is too short. I've run into a couple similar cases with old guns before.

Finding original rifles with original ram rods is a real longshot. To me a ram rod is the most expendable part of any rifle, old or new. Just make a new one and stain it to blend in with the stock.

track of the wolf has rod ends in brass or iron(steel) you could epoxy to that rod. that would lengthen it some but it appears like the rod is pretty sloppy in the thimbles. i would reserve that rod for display and get another to use.
you need more length it appears to me just to reach charging depth.

that butt plate gives me the shivers! :oops: i have no meat on my shoulders and just know i would sometime mount and fire it wrong!
I agree about the butt plate! It really does not fit at all. However; it does seem to be like others of the time period. I believe the ram rod will just be a decoration piece. Thanks for your input.

Latest posts

Back