• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rabid wheelgun nuts unite!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SO;
How about it guys; if (God forbid) you could only have one, which would it be?? :hmm:

kwilfong said:
SO;
How about it guys; if (God forbid) you could only have one, which would it be?? :hmm:

It would probably be my ROA, as it will shoot Walker loads for hunting, is stainless and nearly bulletproof. BUT, with a small bag of spare parts, I would at least have to pause to think about grabbing one of the Colt repros.

Gotta go with the ROA stainless, ajustable sights, 7.5" barrel. It is accurate and super strong. The Uberti Colt 1860 would be second just cause it points so well.

Jeff

1. For me, the 1860 has the perfect balance of weight and proportion to make it an outstanding shooter.

2. The extra length of the army sized grips feels better in my hands than any of the compact models as well as the larger sized 51 and 61 navy models.

3. It is easier to wear in the woods in a belt holster than the dragoons or the Walker.

4. It is of larger caliber, yet still somewhat streamlined with the round profile barrel all the while providing minimal recoil.

5. IMHO, the company later knew that they had the design right with the 1860 model. It directly influenced the configuration of the 72 open top cartridge model and the 73 SAA. These three models have the Colt "feel" about them that no other revolver does.

:grin:
It was nice out today in the Ozarks. Our shop is BUSY & we're working all the OT we can stand but I brung a few c&b revolvers to work with me. One of the bosses mentioned he might want the '58 Remmie Pietta I just got, so I loaded it up & laid it out for him. We blasted some soda cans @ 40 yards at break time & he's going to take it home when his tax return comes :grin:
Also ran a couple cylinders thru the '51 Navy. Think I'm going to leave the sights alone for now 'cause I've learned where to hold & can hit pretty good with it & it's just nice to have one close to "origonal". Some of the boys I drink beer with like PBR in bottles & the lids have playing cards on the bottom. I have a couple "dead man's hands"; Aces & 8's, clubs & spades w/ Queen of Clubs down put together. Going to make up a shadow box with the Navy & bottle caps & a couple pics of Wild Bill & hang it on the wall.

Got home from a work a while ago & found my new-to-me Pietta '60 Army at the door :)
Looks unfired, with petrified cosmolene all over it, so 1st order of business will be a detail strip & scrub, & relube. I'll pinguage the chambers & slug the barrel @ the shop tomorrow, & hopefully get a couple cylinders downrange.
I guess I can expect it to shoot high like the other open top Colts?
Anybody use a shoulder stock on one?

I've used a shoulder stock, and in fact recently sold a "Buntline" with a detachable stock. They've got serious coolness factor, but I don't really think they help much if at all. An experienced pistol shooter with the revolver held at arm's length will do better than with a shoulder stock and the revolver close to his face.

IMHO, of course...

If it's like the other open tops, it should zero around 75 yards.
Try slathering Lubriplate AA650 (or white lithium grease) on the arbor, cylinder rotation area and hand assembly. I think you'll find it takes out a lot of the graininess and seems to make the action feel more...'buttery'? :idunno:

Already done :wink: With a little moly under it. Got maybe 1/2 the creep stoned out & broke all the (unnecessary)sharp edges. It'll do for now & I'll sneek up on the creep a little at a time.
I guess the blade front sights are set in a kind of woodruff slot? Is there a taller aftermarket job available or do I have to make one?

:nono: Yup; I was right. You guys are a serious bad influence. Since the '51, I've aquired a '58 Remmie, a '60 Army, & a "Target" Remmie. At this rate, in a decade or so I'll catch up with Zonie :shocked2:

Why be satisfied with merely "catching up?"
Keep going at this rate and you'll pass him like he was standing still... :thumbsup:

Got the "target" Remmie today :grin: It's unusually slick for a Pietta :thumbsup: Doesn't appear to have been messed with yet, but I'll fix that right away. I have a victim in mind for this one but may sell it if I can't convince him he needs it. With a little tweaking, these things will come real close to a ROA in usable accuracy.
That puts the count up to three Remmie .44's, a Pocket Remmie, NAA Super Companion, ROA, '51 Colt, '60 Colt, & '62 Pocket Navy, all in the last year since I started following this forum, not counting the two I've disposed of. Now I'm thinking I "need" a horse pistol. :youcrazy:

No self-respecting wheelgun collection is complete without a Horsey. Question is...which one? :hmm:
*Walker
*Whitneyville Dragoon
*1st Dragoon
*2nd Dragoon
*3rd Dragoon
http://www.uberti.com/firearms/dragoon_and_pocket_revolvers.php

There are not a lot of differences in the Dragoons as a whole...I could tell you what they are if you don't already know.
I would definitely spend the extra $$ and shell out for a Gen-u-wine Uberti (unless you're one o' them rich fellers what can buy a Colt Signature Series)
Shoot me a PT if you have ???

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got home from vacation. Went by the shop earlier to collect my paycheck then after I got home I realized I'd forgotten the '58 Remmie that came in while I was gone. :shocked2: So back to the shop.
This one was sold as Euroarms :confused: Anybody know who made them? There's no Mfg stamp on it that I recognize. It looks & feels like Pietta. It was missing the pivot screw for the loading lever & a replacement from Dixie fits OK. It looks to be unfired but played with; ought to make a good shooter; like I needed another :surrender: I need to stay off Gunbroker for a while.

Just finished my initial teardown & polishing on the Euroarms (?) Remmie. Unlike my Pietta's, the front sight is a small dovetail. So it could be drifted for windage. It didn't show up until I had a close look because of the polish job, which is pretty fair for a non-Uberti. Does that give a clue to the mfg?

Don't have it yet but I will soon be picking up an original New Model Army complete with US Army cartouches an an 1864 acceptance date :)(and in very good shootable condition).
I have photos from the seller but none of my own yet.
IMG_1814.jpg

IMG_1806.jpg

Unfortunately our Govt in its wisdom classes BP revolvers the same as centrefires and I need to register it- just waiting for the letter acknowledging it as an antique to come back from our highly efficient new system which has a 3 month backlog, despite the legislating requiring a 24hr turn around on permit applications :cursing:

We're headed that way here. Thank God for our 2nd Amendment & the NRA slowing the process.

Did a little more checking on the Euroarms Remmie. The barrel slugs .448" groove dia. (All of my Pietta 44's have been close to .452) & the chambers pin guage @ .441/.442". I won't use my .453" reamer on the chambers on this one; I'll order one @ .449" from MSC.

Latest posts

Back