• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Rabid wheelgun nuts unite!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a kick out of Zonie's reference to the .62 police model as "sexy." I have used that same discription for years. It is by far the best proportioned revolver of all the colts.

I like my police better than both my 49 pocket model and my 65 pocket model of navy caliber.

There is definatelty a difference between the Rogers and Spencer and the Colt. The R&S is heavier and has a square/block feel to it. It would be my second choice if I were in your shoes.

In all "honesty" though, follow Geraldo's advice, cuz it is really what we all want in the end :)

"Follow Geraldo's advice"? Nuh uh. Don't trust that guy as far as I can heave a Walker.... :grin:

As opposed to my dishonest opinion?
Well, I'd like to hear that as well...

Anyway, here's what I see that you're missing:

You need to round out your creeper loading lever collection with an 1861 Navy and an 1862 Police.
Keep talkin'...

A 5 1/2" barreled Remington would compliment your long barreled one.
It would at that. Zonie suggested a New Navy Remmie in .36.

Obviously you need a small gun like an 1849 Colt and probably a cut down Army or Navy.
Obviously. A blind man could see that.

Of course you don't have a Walker yet, just that mousy Dragoon
I hove my Walker as far as I could at the start of this discussion, remember? :rotf:
Actually, the Walker was second runner-up to the Dragoon, so it's not out of the running yet.

Then there is the oddball stuff, L&R, Griswald and Gunnison, Spiller and Burr, Whitneys if you could find them. Maybe a few originals if you can get them at a good price...

I'm thinking they (originals) would be priced out of my tax bracket...hence the appeal of these repli-volvers. Heck, you can own a dozen for the price of one good original or, say, a nice Sharps.

Stick with me, Kirk, and I'll lead you to divorce court and the poorhouse, but you'll have a nice collection of pistolas.
Doubt it. My wife still doesn't know about the Dragoon yet. :wink:

One thing I might mention....
I am fairly prejudiced against brass-frame revolvers, which many of the so-called "Confederate replicas" seem to be. I don't keep BP pistols to polish or hang on the wall, so I'd like to stay away from brassies if I can.
I might also mention that with the purchase of the Dragoon some major reorganization of the gun safe was needed just to fit it in there. So I wouldn't be indiscriminately buying another pistol. I'd really have to want it. Or it needs to be small..... :grin:
So keep telling me what I need...post those pics...show me something unusual I can't say "NO" to. :hmm:

scobrien said:
There is definatelty a difference between the Rogers and Spencer and the Colt. The R&S is heavier and has a square/block feel to it. It would be my second choice if I were in your shoes.

Tell me more.
Why would it be your second choice? How does the gun shoot, handle, take down? I've only seen pix of these, so my knowledge is limited.
What makes it different from the Colts and Remmies of the day? Or the Leech and Rigdon? Tell me why you like the Police so much, other than balance?
The wheels are turning... :hmm:

Here is a link to Dixie Gunworks exploded view of the Rogers & Spencer.
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/images/R&S 3 copy.JPG

Mechanically it is sort of a cross between a Remington (frame) and a Whitney (cylinder pin/loading lever/ram).

I just tried pointing my 1860 Colt, my 1858 Remington-Beals and my R&S.
The R&S grip is smaller thru the middle fingers area than the 1860 but the lower areas flare fills the bottom area of my hand better than the Remington if that makes any sense to you.

The R&S definitely does not feel like either gun. It reminds me more of holding a modern heavy frame revolver.
It is unfortunate that you can't whiz down to the local gun store and pick one up so you could feel the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I just got through hefting all my pistols myself :grin: (great minds think alike!)
I can honestly say; while the Navy points more naturally than all of them,and feels more "balanced", the Remmie just feels the most at home in my hand. It's hard to explain; it just does. If I had to drag one into combat, that would be the one. :thumbsup:
So, your info about the feel of the grips makes perfect sense. I wish I COULD heft one, but alas, the Civil War is long over. :shake:
One question; how does the cylinder come out, and how quick/easy is cylinder removal?

OK, nevermind. For those of you whose curiosity I've piqued with my questions: I've just found the answers here: http://armscollectors.com/mgs/army_revolvers_part_2.htm

That link is an excellent reference for the R&S.
You can easily see what I was trying to describe about the lower part of the grip filling my hand.

To remove the cylinder you will need a screw driver to rotate the small screw on the forward part of the frame 180 degrees either direction.
The screw is retained and won't fall out when its rotated.
Then with the hammer at half cock use the loading lever to jack the cylinder pin out of the frame.

The cylinder will roll out of the frame on the right side.

You can also see the area on the front of the cylinder that is sticking out a bit. When the cylinder is in the gun the face of this projection is up against the inside of the frame.
This places the joint between the cylinder and the frame ahead of the rear of the barrel.

When the gun is fired the blast of smoke and fouling that blows out of the gap between the cylinder and the rear of the barrel is therefore behind this joint so rather than blowing directly into it as it does on the Colt and the Remington it is deflected around the joint.

So simple and yet Colt and Remington both failed to see how this simple design would keep the cylinder from binding up after repeated shooting.

I picked the R&S as a second choice because it would be quite different than the four current revolvers that you possess and most likely something that none of your friends have. It will provide a unique contrast between the Colts and the Remmy you own and you will definately know that you have a new revolver cuz an R&S is going to stand out.

Mine shoots great with a close to dead on POI at 20 yards.I think Zonie's description of how it handles is better than what I could come up with. I will add in though, that when you point it, there is more metal sticking up above the web of your hand. The design of the frame makes it taller than a Remington. One last point about mine is that it does have a stiff main spring and I really notice it when I thumb the hammer back.

With the police, you will stick with the open top design, have a fluted cylinder model, have a very light and petite pistol that shoots the same ball as your 51 Navy, and I suspect that you to will fall in love with the profile. It is hard to tell from a picture, but it really is one slick little pistol. It reminds me of an 1860 that got shrunk down. And as Berkley says, it is not of "mousegun" caliber. Lastly, you will own a "sexy" revolver :)

CaptainKirk said:
"Follow Geraldo's advice"? Nuh uh. Don't trust that guy as far as I can heave a Walker.... :grin:

As opposed to my dishonest opinion?
Well, I'd like to hear that as well...

Stick with me, Kirk, and I'll lead you to divorce court and the poorhouse, but you'll have a nice collection of pistolas.
Doubt it. My wife still doesn't know about the Dragoon yet. :wink:

Well, I wouldn't trust me either, but you did ask. I can say this, it sounds like it's good that you're hot for C&B revolvers, because when you wife finds out you've been buying them at a high rate of speed, she might not be able to load them, and even if she does you'll have enough time to get away. :wink:

Since you're considering a R&S, I'll tell you what keeps that down at the bottom of my list. To me, it's a 20th century pistol. I know, I know, they were made in the 1860s and NSSA will let you carry one, but they never saw service of any kind until they were sold in 1901. It's hard for me to get warm and fuzzy about a C&B pistol that made it's debut during the Roosevelt administration.

scobrien said:
I picked the R&S as a second choice because it would be quite different than the four current revolvers that you possess and most likely something that none of your friends have. It will provide a unique contrast between the Colts and the Remmy you own and you will definately know that you have a new revolver cuz an R&S is going to stand out.

Mine shoots great with a close to dead on POI at 20 yards.I think Zonie's description of how it handles is better than what I could come up with. I will add in though, that when you point it, there is more metal sticking up above the web of your hand. The design of the frame makes it taller than a Remington. One last point about mine is that it does have a stiff main spring and I really notice it when I thumb the hammer back.

With the police, you will stick with the open top design, have a fluted cylinder model, have a very light and petite pistol that shoots the same ball as your 51 Navy, and I suspect that you to will fall in love with the profile. It is hard to tell from a picture, but it really is one slick little pistol. It reminds me of an 1860 that got shrunk down. And as Berkley says, it is not of "mousegun" caliber. Lastly, you will own a "sexy" revolver :)

Friends? Kirk has friends? :rotf:

You're definately onto something saying that the 1862 is sexy. I recall a Colt ad from the late 1970s or early 1980s with a black and white pic of three of their C&B revolvers. 1860 Army, 1862 Police, and the third might have been an 1851 Navy. The fact that I remember that ad and not a single Playmate of the era says something about creeper loading lever pistols...

[/quote]
Well, I wouldn't trust me either, but you did ask. I can say this, it sounds like it's good that you're hot for C&B revolvers, because when you wife finds out you've been buying them at a high rate of speed, she might not be able to load them, and even if she does you'll have enough time to get away. :wink:

Not sure what you consider a high rate of speed, Jerry; the Dragoon is my first C&B purchase since Reagan was in office. :shocked2:
Frankly, if she saw all my guns lying out on the table, she would have no idea when I bought them or what they were. Only that they could be sold off for money to buy more important things, like, oh...carpeting, or household appliances?
Which is why they stay locked up & out of sight...

Since you're considering a R&S, I'll tell you what keeps that down at the bottom of my list. To me, it's a 20th century pistol. I know, I know, they were made in the 1860s and NSSA will let you carry one, but they never saw service of any kind until they were sold in 1901. It's hard for me to get warm and fuzzy about a C&B pistol that made it's debut during the Roosevelt administration.

Yeah, I know. But it IS an interesting design; unique even, and it looks like a real thumper.I wasn't around after the Civil War to know if these things were issued or not, so I really don't care if they didn't eke out into public use until the 1900's. If they had been introduced in, say 1863. I believe they would have seen widespread use by both sides during the Civil War. Anyway, my interest is definitely piqued here. Also with the Police as well. I never owned a "sexy" gun before. Maybe it's time.. :idunno:

Quote; Geraldo:
"Since you're considering a R&S, I'll tell you what keeps that down at the bottom of my list. To me, it's a 20th century pistol. I know, I know, they were made in the 1860s and NSSA will let you carry one, but they never saw service of any kind until they were sold in 1901. It's hard for me to get warm and fuzzy about a C&B pistol that made it's debut during the Roosevelt administration."

At least one made it into service, if this article is true.
http://www.antiquearmsinc.com/rogers-spencer-revolver.htm

Not sure what you consider a high rate of speed, Jerry; the Dragoon is my first C&B purchase since Reagan was in office.
Frankly, if she saw all my guns lying out on the table, she would have no idea when I bought them or what they were. Only that they could be sold off for money to buy more important things, like, oh...carpeting, or household appliances?
Which is why they stay locked up & out of sight...

I bought my first C&B pistol during the Reagan administration as well-an 1861 Navy repro with a full fluted cylinder. Moron that I am, I later sold it for the same cheap price I paid for it :shake:

My first was a fully fluted Richland Arms '60 Colt Army I bought in 1976. I've kept it all these years, and shoot it regularly. Hard to believe I've had a smokewagon nearly as long as my woman's been alive!

You robbed the cradle, eh? :haha:

I met my Wife during the first Reagan administration, while she was in her first year of college. Ah, the memories.......

Glad to here that gun is as sexy as the Mrs.!

Dave

Well, by my count you need 22 more bp revolvers. I'd consider a second mortgage. Buy 'em all at once so you don't have to go through this silly 'decisions, decisions :confused: ' thing; it's a lot less painful. You might even have enough left over to buy the good lady a Hershey bar or something else nice.

Rogers & Spencer: got 2, fine guns. Second only to the Ruger Old Army in my opinion. Why, you ask. 'Cause I like it. It's very comfortable in my hand and most importantly I can shoot it accurately. No cap jams, no fouling jams, it feels good in the hand, it points very well, I can hold it on target and hit what I'm aiming at. The only gun that does better in my hand is the ROA.

ROA: nobody else mentioned it, but it's just the best black powder revolver ever made by anyone at any time, in my opinion. To me, that counts more than it's not a 100 year old design.

1862 Pocket Police: Really nice, lots of fun to shoot. Undoubtedly the best looking gun from the 1850's-60's; sexy counts, too. But behind the 1851 Navy Colt in desirability, in my opinion.

Call the bank today.

Gotta go along with you on the ROA :) It's not PC but it sure does shoot, & adjustable sights from the factory are a plus. I shoot smaller groups with it on average than I can get with my 5 1/2" 45 Blackhawk due to better trigger & longer sight radius.
How about this; if you could only keep one, which would it be?? I'd keep the ROA

kwilfong said:
Gotta go along with you on the ROA :) It's not PC but it sure does shoot, & adjustable sights from the factory are a plus. I shoot smaller groups with it on average than I can get with my 5 1/2" 45 Blackhawk due to better trigger & longer sight radius.
How about this; if you could only keep one, which would it be?? I'd keep the ROA

Haven't shot the 2nd Dragoon yet, so can't comment on it. But if it came down to the other three; definitely the Remmie.

Back