• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

R. Southgate Flintlock #484 Help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure what you are asking - are you asking me to provide more info to you about the flintlock or Southgate History?
If you google R. Southgate there is a lot of info published

The front sight is reversed. Easy fix though.

That would be a matter of opinion . I would also prefer it facing the other direction if it has a nice flat face but many may prefer it facing the other way . I have seen both on newly built rifles so it would be difficult to prove that one is correct and the other is not .

I have a saw handle target pistol made the same year for my grandfather , Royland's older brother . The barrel looks to have a fair amount of pitting in the picture , is that the case ? What is the caliber and condition of the bore ?

Eddie

That would be a matter of opinion . I would also prefer it facing the other direction if it has a nice flat face but many may prefer it facing the other way . I have seen both on newly built rifles so it would be difficult to prove that one is correct and the other is not .

I have a saw handle target pistol made the same year for my grandfather , Royland's older brother . The barrel looks to have a fair amount of pitting in the picture , is that the case ? What is the caliber and condition of the bore ?

Eddie
Thanks for the info. I actually like the site as it is too! Not sure what the caliber is, note is nice and clean, I don’t think this gun got much use. The barrel does have some pitting not really like rust but maybe what happens over years of not caring for it as should. When I got it I cleaned with solvent and have been keeping the bore lubricated

There are several threads on his rifles on this board that you might want to look at . Several of them are on the first page of this section but the older ones you might have to dig a bit for . Click on my user name and look at my content and you should be able to find an older thread with links to completed auctions . I also posted a link to that thread in one of the current threads . I would love to buy one of his rifles but I unexpectedly retired recently and SS has not kicked in and I have not found a retirement play money job yet . Might have to try to sell some modern stuff I don't need .

There are several threads on his rifles on this board that you might want to look at . Several of them are on the first page of this section but the older ones you might have to dig a bit for . Click on my user name and look at my content and you should be able to find an older thread with links to completed auctions . I also posted a link to that thread in one of the current threads . I would love to buy one of his rifles but I unexpectedly retired recently and SS has not kicked in and I have not found a retirement play money job yet . Might have to try to sell some modern stuff I don't need .
Ok I’ll do that. Thanks

Eddie
Wasn't a brother blinded by an accidental powder explosion in the mid 1960 \/ I used to see him at Charlie Haffner's shoots.

Wasn't a brother blinded by an accidental powder explosion in the mid 1960 \/ I used to see him at Charlie Haffner's shoots.

That was my grandfather , Bailey Wright Southgate . He was called BW or Colonel by most folks that knew him. He was Royland's older brother by about 5 years . I used to shoot with him and Roy Roberts at Owl Hollow and at the range by the Red River in Adams Tennessee in the 70's .

Thanks. I was pretty confident this gun was never modified

Actually , in my opinion it has two non original parts . The tang bolt he would have never used , not really sure the lock bolt is original to the rifle either . Both are not the type of bolt head he would have used . He had a screw machine and made his own so would have used the correct style of head on the bolts for that rifle . Neither bolt looks right to me . The hammer also has to be a replacement . He made his lock plates and hammers as well as the screws , pins, springs , triggers , and all the brass or silver inlays . That hammer looks like one of the generic hammers that Turner sold in the Dixie catalog .

Can't really be sure, but is there a second crack in the butt , through the incised carving ?

Eddie

That was my grandfather , Bailey Wright Southgate . He was called BW or Colonel by most folks that knew him. He was Royland's older brother by about 5 years . I used to shoot with him and Roy Roberts at Owl Hollow and at the range by the Red River in Adams Tennessee in the 70's .
I had the privilege of knowing both Royland and Baily when I lived in Nashville in the 70's. I currently have a pistol that Baily made after he was blinded at the WENO ranch. It is pictured in another post.

I’ve had this old flintlock for several years and by researching can determine it dates to 1958. It looks complete and in nice shape, I can send better photos later.
I have to start selling off a large collection of guns and was trying to get an idea of a reasonable asking price for this. All I can find it an estimated value between $800 to $1300 but was looking for some advice. I would really like to see it go to a true collector.
Any suggestions on how to find a collector would be appreciated -
DO HOMEWORK! A Southgate is worth much more than that range!! Don't get taken!!

Placing a fine gun in a good auction is also a possibility. You recall the Dixie catalog always mentions Royland's name as one of the fine makers, examples of which they sometimes have in stock. Resist a quick sale, maximize your investment .

I’m surprised. So what you are saying you believe this gun may be of higher value than that
Range? I can’t seem to find any completed auctions that show this - I trying to do more research but may auction off on this site once my two weeks are complete since registering - around the 18th

BW and a guy we called Blue Spot Bill used to come to Owl hollow in the 1970's. We had great fun! BW was a neat guy to talk with!!

Show me proof of your statement . Can you show any auction results from the last ten years that back that up ? Being blood kin and having grown up around him I would like to think his stuff was high art and worth big dollars but it seems that $900 is a big auction price for one now days . That one was nicely striped , the two I have seen on here the last few months are about as plain as to grain as Maple could get and one has replaced parts and a crack ( cracks ? ) in the stock . Maybe you should do your homework .

Latest posts

Back