• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

R&D cyclinder that 45LC don't fit in all the way.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dboone

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought a R&D cyclinder from Midways USA and it said for 45LC but the bullets won't set all the way down to were you can put the top on. Has anyone had this prom or heard of it
Pisses me off to pay so much for something and it has to be sent back as soon as you get.

dboone-Most of the conversion cylinders are set up for CAS type shooting.Most Re-loading manuals show 1.600 as max length for 45 colt,however most Cas rifles and pistols will feed (reliably) lengths of 1.585.Check your cartridge over all length,or you could contact R&D.Safe loads for these conversions are for Colt type pistols.I hope I have helped...Respectfully Montanadan P.S I don't think Claude wants us to talk about cartridges on this forum?

I only use cowboy ammo in my r&d cyclinder and it works in my r&d for my pietta but not my uberti cyclinder.

dboone-I personally do not use the conversions.Do you know any one that has any Scofield cowboy loads?These are much shorter,and perhaps the cylinder was bored for the Scofield.I would probably get touch with R&D,the only problem I have seen is with Remmie conversions,they needed a little fittting.Sorry that I could not help...Respectfully Montanadan

The cyclinder fits with bullets in it but when loaded the top does not set flush like it does when not loaded. It looks like the bullets won't go all the way down the holes. I sent it back to MidWayUSA and i'll be shooting this gun cap and ball for now. I like 30grs of 3 T777 and bufflo bullets conicals from cabelas 181grs. Has good stopping power and if reliable thats all I'll need.

I have an R&D for my Ruger Old Army and so far no problems. I have only tried one factory load in it so far, so there may be some out there that are too long, I just haven't run into them yet.

I end up getting a new cyclinder from midway and it wouldn't take the winchester cowboy ammo, so i bought some UltraMax cowboy ammo and it seems to work. The old Pietta vs Uberti thing is funny because I have 5 Pietta remmy's and the r $ d cyclinder works in all of them but the Uberti remmy seem to be a problem even with the blackpowder cyclinder. The nipples on the new $235 uberti were all to short and wouldn't fire the caps so Taylor sent me some more that did and they work fine. The Uberti is a lot tighter than the pietta 1858's. The best shorter and best all around good looking smooth action is P :m2c:ietta Caseharden with gun fighter grips from Cabelas. Sweet Sweet Sweet gun.

Back