• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

R/B mould ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Cormier

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I just bought a Lee alum mold for my revolver. Does it need to be broken in. I know how to mould r/b . My 2 other moulds are Lyman steel ones. Just wondering about the aluum mould .
Thanks kennyc

I have 3 I have used to cast a few hundred projectiles and I would say no follow the directions in the mold just make sure it is cleaned well and smoked or coated with graphite. Watch the temp, they form casting lines when they get too hot. I did have to clean up a couple of burrs on the pins and on a slug mold I had to clean up the core pin (similar to a minie) but not too much.

Na, just start usin'm. (clean'm first)
Those Lee molds are a bit finiky about wanting a touch of lube on the guide pins.
I use Permatex anti-seize, the same stuff they use on spark plugs and other Auto app's. It's rated to take 1400 degrees.
Beyond that the aluminum heats faster, your saving good ball after just a few casts.

I just wash them off with dishwashing detergent to remove the oil they are shipped in, smoke them with a match, apply a little lube to the moving parts, and start casting. Have Fun!! :thumbsup:

necchi said:
I use Permatex anti-seize, the same stuff they use on spark plugs and other Auto app's. It's rated to take 1400 degrees.

Necchi, that IS the stuff I was thinking of, just got it in my head that it was a spray. Thanks. Bill

Back