• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question Regarding Horn/Bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the pics and info. Nice bags!

Regarding Carl's suggestion. I usually do a search, and if I'm still curious for more information (much of the time) I still post the question. Sometimes I have trouble getting the search function to find the terms I'm looking for. So I guess it's a blend of the two approaches that works best for me.

Thanks again guys.

Carl Davis said:
ebiggs said:
Mr. Davis,
My only fault with the “searches” is this; if you wanted to do a search on a particular question, why not just read a book? If you want interaction from other people, ask on the forum.
And here I thought I was helping by pointing people to the numerous answers that have already been provided. Why do you guys think the forum has a search feature? Any guesses?

So, people have gone to great lengths to answer questions, but you want them to re-type everything just for you, because you don't want to search for those old stale answers?

Mr. Davis,
I am a teacher and over the years I have told students the same answers to the same question many times. I hope that each time I have answered their inquiries I answered like it was the first time asked. This is the concept of a forum. If you don’t want to answer, than don’t. You certainly are not obligated to do so.

RickD said:
Carl have you ever really read your,not sure of the word to use, sarcastic seems to come to mind,replies?To me the idea of an open forum is to mingle and ask questions..I dont care if they were asked before,its how people learn..

Ditto!

I wouldn't be so hard on anyone posting links to previos discussions, they can and usually are a wealth of infomation that will help the OP. That does not stop anyone else from chimming in on this thread. I've done it before and everytime I do I feel I'm helping the person who posted the question. :v

Capt. Fred said:
Hi guys, I'm making a new hunting bag and I've got a question. I notice that some folks attach the strap of the horn directly to the strap of the bag instead of having two different straps.

I'm trying to decide which way to do it. What are your preferences on this issue?

Thanks.

Couple of questions

1. Is historical correctness a factor for you?
2. If so, who would have used it, when, where?

...........also, received the check and I will be mailing out your goods tomorrow or Tuesday.

The HC aspect isn't that important for me on this item James. I read in one of the threads that Carl linked that, early on at least, they were not strapped to the bag.

This is a big bag I'm making, and the main reason for it was so I could carry ALL my manure in one place. I have a small bag I made that I carry the gun stuff in. That requires me to carry my hunting manure in my pockets. That can lead me to leaving stuff behind, because some days I change pants, or it is too hot for the coat, etc. So, I figured I'd make a bag big enough to fit it all in. That's why the idea of buckling the horn to the bag stap is attractive. Pick it up and go.

Thanks for the update on the toys!

Ken

For what its worth..I`m right handed but have my bag on my right side and my horn on my left side..I found that carrying my rifle in my right hand plus the bag and horn hanging on my right side I felt off balance..Moving the horn full of powder to my left side just felt more normal,kind of balanced the weight out..

I have my bags and my horns on separate straps. I mix and match the bags and horns depending on the venue of the shoot, the rifle/smoothbore used or my whim on that particular day. I've also eschewed the horn and carried a small powder flask in the bag, especially when I use my .32 flinter.

Then I would go with the horn attached. I always prefer the horn to ride above the top of the pouch on this type of set-up so as to be out of the way. You can get a good range of motion for the horn by using a longer strap in the back. A nicely curved horn really just needs to be turned with the wrist to pour the powder to the charger and to prime the pan. :thumbsup:

Carl , in the past some members have been hard on you, I myself included. In this case I feel it was un-warranted. Your post was most helpful.I think a FAQ would be a helpful addition to the forum, for that matter, it may exist and I've never noticed it.Sometimes the search works for me, sometimes it doesn't, and I do enjoy the interaction of the other members, but I still think your post was helpful. Back to topic, I do it both ways since I have a bag for each gun, one bag has an attached horn and the other two have separate horns. Well, I guess this post wasn't much help was it? :redface: :redface:

Back