• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question on the Lee 575-500 mold

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Java77

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Pedersoli Zouave rifle and when I use pin gages to determine bore diameter, a .577 is a go and .578 is no go.

The Lee mold states 575-500. I’m assuming the .575 is referring to the bullet diameter. Would this be the right size mold for my Zouave?

Thanks!

I have a Pedersoli Zouave rifle and when I use pin gages to determine bore diameter, a .577 is a go and .578 is no go.

The Lee mold states 575-500. I’m assuming the .575 is referring to the bullet diameter. Would this be the right size mold for my Zouave?

Thanks!
My Lyman 575-500 casts a 570 rb, but either should workwith a .10 or .15 patch.

Thanks!

This is the supposed diameter but due to alloy, temp, and manufacturing tolerances, maybe. You get what you pay for and if you ask Moose or Brooks for a mold that casts at 575 at 800 with pure lead, odds on the delivered product will be dead on. I have yet to see otherwise from those two.

Thanks for the info. Can you let me know which company or person makes a mold in 577?

https://moosemoulds.wixsite.com/mm2013
If you don't get Amos immediately, leave a message. Like Bobby Hoyt, he doesn't sit beside a telephone. His molds are top quality and come with handles.

A bit of advice on casting minies, run the pot hot, like 850f, pour fast, use only pure lead. Get a 576 sizing die from John at NE Traders.

My Zouave has same undersize. My Lee .575 casts a tad big. I run the mini through a sizer that just dresses it. They don't just fall in but load easy and shoot good

My Lee .575 casts too big. .577/.578 and that's too big for my Armi-Jager Zouave. Should have checked my bore size before wasting the money. I've tried sizing them to .574 but it pretty much destroys the lube rings. Lee customer service says .578 is within their tolerance specs.

That is the nominal diameter, but you won't know for sure until you cast a few. You need dead soft lead for minnie balls. Best accuracy will come from a minnie that is only one or two thousands under bore diameter. Invest in a .577 sizer. It is best to cast a little over size, then size them down to the diameter your rifle will like best.

I cast minie's with that mould, let the bullets sit overnight then run them through a lyman lubrisizer. The sizer doesn't size so much as it puts spg lube into the shallow grooves. The minie's are easily loaded into the barrel and seated. They shoot accurately for a group but really high. Need a higher front sight on the 1858 enfield they are used in.

Latest posts

Back