• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question-Buffalo Bullets Ballett?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a .50 caliber TC Hawken that I have owned for years. When I bought the rifle, it came with several additional items which included a box of Buffalo Bullet ballettes. I finally decided to try them and and when I did I found them difficult to start with a short starter. After I gave one a whack with a small plastic mallet I was able to finish with the short starter and then seat it with the ram rod. I tried a couple more but I decided to stop because the plastic hammer was deforming the nose of the ballettes. The ballettes measure .505" and they are prelubed. Does anyone have suggestions?

The ballet is round nosed like a RB correct? My short starter is concaved on the end to help keep from deforming the RB when starting. The Ballets fir tight otherwise they wouldn't shoot very well by design.

The nose of a bullet is not very important as far as accuracy goes; but the BASE sure is. Unless majorly deformed a bullet with nose damage should still shoot quite well.

I used them some years back in a T/C Greyhawk using 90 grains of pyro. Couldn't find a groove with that round OR they Greyhawk. No problem loading because of the QLA feature in the muzzle of the rifle which in retrospect, was possibly it's Achille's heel for accuracy. The ballets may have shot better in a gun without the QLA. Went back to the maxi's and rounds in my CVA and New Englander.

Get a Lee 501 push through sizer. If. 501 is too small, gradually worke it doun with fine really really fine sandpaper. Like 800 grit. Make a mandrel by cutting a slice down a 3/8" metal rod about two inches. Wrap the paper around the mandrel. You can probably get by by taping the paper to the rod.

Go slow and keep checkin the fit as you go.

Back