• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question about testing balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I hope I can get an answer. I have a custom flint 58 cal 60 twist. I just poured some .575 (.572-.575) pure lead ball. I need to check them. Also I have .010 patches oiled. I just want to see if I can run it down but don't want a dry ball. Would 20gn 3f do it? Thanks in advance Jerry

Jerry,

Think about what you just asked. If the ball goes down why not have a full charge of powder? You gain nothing using a small charge but can gain some experience on how the gun reacts to your set up.

If you can't get the ball down then you will have to pull it. No one would recommend trying to shoot a ball out that is not sitting on top of the powder. No matter how small the powder charge.

I don't see a problem with the ball and patch combination you have described. The gun will tell you what it likes when you experiment with ball and patch combinations. Start he process now.

Thanks Fish for suggestion. I was hoping to limit noise so full charge not an option. And 20gn does push out these balls. And Boy Howdy does it push them out. My test is sufficient for what I wanted to know. I'm not concerned about pin point accuracy but always nice to be close to target. I can now go to range and know these balls will work. And lastly, is neats foot oil OK for patch lube. I do a lot of BP wads and bullet lubes but patch lube is not in my knowledge kit bag at moment. Thanks

Thanks Fish for suggestion. I was hoping to limit noise so full charge not an option. And 20gn does push out these balls. And Boy Howdy does it push them out. My test is sufficient for what I wanted to know. I'm not concerned about pin point accuracy but always nice to be close to target. I can now go to range and know these balls will work. And lastly, is neats foot oil OK for patch lube. I do a lot of BP wads and bullet lubes but patch lube is not in my knowledge kit bag at moment. Thanks
Neats Foot Oil would not be one of my choices. 7:1 Ballistol, lamb tallow, and there are a few homemade concoctions that are workable.

Oil up a big piece of patch material and use it to seat the ball at least half way down the muzzle. That will tell you what you need to know. If you use a big enough piece of patching all it will take is a big jerk to pull it back out. No need to shoot it and I hope you get the humor in the previous sentence.

Uh oh! Here we go!! Lol

I need to check them. I have .010 patches oiled. I just want to see if I can run it down

When I was checking the barrel fit with various ball diameters and patch thicknesses I slipped a half inch by nine brass rod into the bore, tipping the rifle so the rod slides slowly all the way down.
A patch and ball combination was chosen and inserted into the muzzle and pushed down flush with muzzle.
The the rifle was slowly turned muzzle downward so the brass rod would slide foreword to be against the PRB.
Shaking the rifle up and down causes the brass rod to bob up and down in the bore tapping against the PRB slide hammer style. Out pops the PRB. Now the ball it can be examined for the correct pattern of deep and shallow patch weave markers embossed all around the ball like a belt.

Back