• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question about Lock Springs Vises

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmeyer

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Is one as good as another? Is it really needed? I've seen vises for the lock spring as well as the Frizzen spring. Is there one that will do both or are two needed? Or do most people just get by with regular tools? Thanks again all.

I got by with a vise-grip until one day I snapped the mainspring on my Davis Jaeger lock :( At that point I bought a $12 spring cramp along with my replacement spring and wondered why I didn't get one a long time ago. It works just as well on my frizzen spring :) You just can't beat having the right tool for the right job. I learn as I go.

I use the mainspring vise that Jim Chambers offers, I think Track might also? It has a pivoting top and bottom jaw. It might be closer to $20. Still a small price to pay vs the cost of a new spring, not to mention the wait for it to arrive.
:results: :m2c:
PD

I have used a ? $9. one from MSM for years, and just bought another one at Friendship as it is handy to have 2 when working several rifles. The Chambers one is the easiest to use as it has a larger wing nut to turn, but twice the cost & both vices do the same function.........

:results:

I use that one too..and now that ya'll have mentioned it..think I will get a cheaper one for the frizzen spring..I've been using little pr. of vice grips on it.

I use the standard MSM clamp, but I swapped out their Allen-head cap screw pivot for an "antique" slotted head bolt from one of my "glory jars" in the basement.

Ye gonna make something for a flintlock ye ought to make it appear from that era. :nono:

Definately worth having. Might never need one, but when you do, you do.

I think if you were to take a small set of vice grips and grind the teeth off they would work the same as the spring vice

Sounds like you are trying to save a dollar, only reason not to get the proper tool. In that case get a tiny C clamp. You can file the top to fit under the bolster if the lock is set up that way. The standard tool for $10 is far superior and highly recommended.

this same one works on my frizzen spring also..........bob

The reason I'm going to get another is that when I take the lock all appart I leave the vise on mainspring and little vise grips on frizzen spring till I put the lock back together.

Have access to some flat stock or an old glass cutter?

glass.jpg

You can compress the frizzen spring and hold it with the slots of a glass cutter (if your cutter & lock are of compatable sizes - by luck - the slots for breaking glass are different sizes and spaces which occasionally work perfectly), or grind a slot in fast stock of the size needed. If you're real lucky, or are making one, the action of the frizzen is all that's needed to compress the spring. Not recommended for the larger/stronger mainspring.

It's a free experiment if you have one to try.

Usually you can get by with just one spring cramp. I've got two now--a large one and a smaller one. All I can say is they are worth their cost. I've never broken a spring yet. You don't need one for sear springs as they can be popped into place with thumb pressure. But they are needed for frizzen and main springs.

i left mine undone so it doesn't have tension on it....more like in a relaxed state of mind..............bob

I use a mainspring vise from... I think Track. But, it's lacking for a musket spring. A small C clamp (2") with flat spots ground on it works greast for frizzen springs of all sizes.

Thanks for the info all. I bought 2 of them from track of the wolf. The $20 one with the bigger butterfly screw and the $10 one for a back up.

I use parallel jaw pliers, the kind with a screw to hold them shut, one tool fits all. The pliers come in from the side so the rest of the lock work never gets in the way.

The only trick is you mustn't put all the compression in the middle so put a metal bar along the whole bottom of the spring and clamp that. Tighten just enough to free the spring sideways so you can extract it before unhooking the stirrup.

If it's a frizzen spring, balance the frizzen half way back so the spring is as bent as it gets, bar underneath and just nip it with the pliers. Close the frizzen, remove the screw and out she comes.

I've had my share of broken springs but never from clamping them :thumbsup:

Back