• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyrodex in Matchlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So a little while back, the question had come up on one of the boards here: “can you shoot Pyrodex in a Matchlock?” And for all that there were a lot of opinions about it, it didn’t seem like there was a lot in the way of experience-based information. I’ve been shooting black powder for over 30 years, but had never fired any Pyrodex. So I acquired a can from a friend and this morning I set out to see…
This first one is a flash-in-the-pan. Probably my fault- I grabbed a dirty musket, scraped the bore, but didn’t pick out the touch hole. I will say, I was surprised at how long the match sat in the pan before the stuff ignited.
And when it went, it halfway snuffed the match.
Jay

I find this matchlock stuff fascinating. Is this the kind of weapon the Pilgrims used in 1620, or were flintlocks around by then?
The true flintlock shows up ca. 1615, but matchlocks continued to be used for decades because they were cheap and reliable. Here in Virginia, snaphaunces became super popular with civilians in the mid 1620s.
Jay

Use BlackPowder. I thought most people knew the ignition challenges of Pyrodex in pan-ignition systems by now…🤨
Beautiful gun by the way.
As I mentioned above, this was an experiment based on the fact that another thread clearly indicated that people were curious about the possibility of using the P stuff in a matchlock. I also pointed out up there that this was my first- and likely LAST- experience with replica powder. I’m a flintlock boy at heart, and never even considered trying this stuff except here, in the interest of science.
Jay

As I mentioned above, this was an experiment based on the fact that another thread clearly indicated that people were curious about the possibility of using the P stuff in a matchlock. I also pointed out up there that this was my first- and likely LAST- experience with replica powder. I’m a flintlock boy at heart, and never even considered trying this stuff except here, in the interest of science.
Jay
My comment wasn't directed at you. It was a statement in general, in the interest of needless redundancy :)

I suspect if you used a duplex load with some BP in the pan you would get that pyrodex to ignite much faster.

Was my immediate thought when I saw the post headline. And as I suspected, you saw delayed ignition.
When we do a duplex with the lions share of the charge as pyrodex, flintlock guns have no issue with the stuff. No reason the same won't hold true with a matchlock.

So a little while back, the question had come up on one of the boards here: “can you shoot Pyrodex in a Matchlock?” And for all that there were a lot of opinions about it, it didn’t seem like there was a lot in the way of experience-based information. I’ve been shooting black powder for over 30 years, but had never fired any Pyrodex. So I acquired a can from a friend and this morning I set out to see…
This first one is a flash-in-the-pan. Probably my fault- I grabbed a dirty musket, scraped the bore, but didn’t pick out the touch hole. I will say, I was surprised at how long the match sat in the pan before the stuff ignited.
And when it went, it halfway snuffed the match.
Jay
View attachment 157649
I did not see the main / barrel charge ignite? what happened with that?

I find this matchlock stuff fascinating. Is this the kind of weapon the Pilgrims used in 1620, or were flintlocks around by then?
Flintlocks were not out in 1620 era, but they came out sometime later in the 1600's. The Pilgrims did use Matchlocks.

Back