• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyrodex in a Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[B]James Stella[/B], I for one offer my apology for giving a less than helpful response.
sometimes i have a bad day and even on my best day might be classified as a curmudgeon.
those that have lived and breathed black powder and the wonderful implements used to harness it's power for years tend to forget sometimes that even the smallest of things are brand new to another group of people. at least i hope a new group of enthusiasts are in the wings to replace me.
i am going to put myself on a "time out" now until my attitude resets.
don't leave this forum as it is about the best and easiest i have found for support of my addiction.
see ya'll later.

Thank you for your support. And you were right about the gun being a present. My wife bought it for me as a retirement present the first of December. I do shoot a percussion Lyman Plains Rifle. I shoot both Pyrodex and black powder out of it. That is why I had some 3F on hand.

Unfortunately actually black powder is hard to find right now. So I was just trying to make what I had work so I could shoot the gun.

The plus side is I was able to order some black powder because I started this thread and there were people willing to help me.
James,
When I first started shooting flintlocks (had been shooting percussion for several years) I had mostly BP substitues on hand. To use it up, I would put 5 grains of BP down the barrel 1st and then finish the rest of my charge with the substitute. Never had any problems. Used BP to prime the pan.

Back