• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Putting food on the table with primitive weapons

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been inspired! I love hunting and eating squirrels! I was unaware there was a spring squirrel season in Kentucky till just now. All this talk of hunting and eating them fired me up! I wish my traditions Kentucky build was done to take out! Oh well, just have to take out the New Englander! Here’s a pic from a fall hunt!
C3D497D4-EF3E-48D6-A064-9F9E495EDCC5.jpeg

Believe it or not, chicken. Squirrel dumplins is as good as chicken in NC. Of course, it ent called dumplins in NC. "Chicken and Dumplins" is Chicken Pastry in NC... so Squirrel Pastry.
Yep, in North Carolina, it's Squirrel Dumplings. Of course my wife calls them "rats", so my reply is " fix me some rat dumplings".

The fox squirrels we have in SW Ohio taste too nutty to compare to chicken or rabbit, and I've eaten plenty of all three. An older boar can be very tough, parboiling or pressure cooking is in order. My Grandma made fantastic squirrel meat gravy and biscuits. I watched my Dad take a squirrel when I was a young lad and then took my kids out when they were small. The 22lr would do it, but the tenacity of life for those animals prompted a build of a TC 32 Cherokee kit. That took them down with authority. Maybe I'll get into the woods again in September to rekindle fond memories with that dandy little rifle.

Fox Squirrels to me are more like pork. I really do enjoy them. I marinate them and then pan fry to brown. Then place in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes. Most of them except the old boars are fine eating.

Squirrel tastes like squirrel. It's a unique individual flavor that lends itself to being fried , or used as is in several dishes. Groundhog amazingly is so neutral in taste , chicken bullion cubes are good to make it usable for a noodle dish. Can't continue , getting hungry.

Back