• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

put it up

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bring out the holy rust preventative!

Pie Jesu Domine, Dona Eis Requiem

THE HOLY RUST PREVENTATIVE.jpg

LD

Wiped my rifles down with WD40 after a match at Springfiend Oregon. Stowed them in a hard case. When I got home to Tacoma they were badly rusted. I don't use it for firearms anymore.

Been using Hoppes #9 since I was a kid and it still works excellent. Have tried others but Hoppes is all I need and use now.

Oil?
Because I've had the same experience with Hoppe's #9 solvent...., wipe down the gun, put it on the rack, come back a couple days later, rusty.

LD
Hoppes #9 is what I wrote. I don't know what is in it but it has always prevented rust for me. On the rifles and in the bores. Read an article recently, couple years anyway, that 3in1oil is an excellent rust preventative. I'm sure it's oil. Oils are well known rust preventers.

Sorry, I was a bit obtuse.

I understood what you wrote, but you see Hoppe's makes a gun oil, and they make a solvent. They are all labeled "Hoppe's 9". Which is what I was trying to clarify. ;) Idaho has a bit lower humidity than other parts of the USA, which is why I venture to guess it works for you.

HOPPE's 9 products.JPG

LD

I have always used Hoppes #9 solvent in my BP cleaning regiment. Hot soapy water, dry, Hoppes, swab out. Then 3-1 oil. I have not had good results with WD40 either. One of my fellow shooters does use it, but after spraying in barrel, he uses air compressor to blow it out. I also have become a user of gun socks, you can oil and slide gun in w/o touching freshly treated surfaces. Once again, muzzle down.

I understood what you wrote, but you see Hoppe's makes a gun oil, and they make a solvent. They are all labeled "Hoppe's 9". Which is what I was trying to clarify. ;) Idaho has a bit lower humidity than other parts of the USA, which is why I venture to guess it works for you.

View attachment 84438

LD
Sorry, I was referring to Hoppes #9 bore solvent. That is all I use for rust protection. Only use oils for lubricating parts. South Idaho is dry for sure but I've only lived here six years. Spent a year in Kentucky and that was by far the hardest place to keep rust off of firearms. Spent most of my life in the Puget Sound where it's very wet. Always kept a dehumidifier in the gunroom.

View attachment 84438

LD
I always use Herpes--I mean Hoppe's products for my BP and unmentionables. BUT, I use warm water & Dawn dishsoap for cleaning my BP guns...not "cleaning solvents".

Barricade, without question…

I did my own testing, after 8 years and no signs of rusting.

However, the guns were inside a locked , dehumidified safe during that time.
That was all the proof I needed.

From what I’ve seen most any gun oil will provide rust protection in most short term situations.

Provided the gun was properly cleaned first.

Fluid Film is my first choice and LPS-3 is second choice

This stuff works at sea for months

For drill press columns and hydraulic rams, Fluid Film

Stop fingerprints from etching metal, Fluid Film

I got turned on to Lehigh Valley Lube at Dixon's some years back. After cleaning my gun I swabbed the bore with it. Never a rust problem. I have left the gun dirty for weeks in my hall closet and still no rust! I am just about out of my last bottle, I understand that Mr. flintlock is supposed be as good. We'll see. I also used LVL to lube my paper cartridges and it works.

Back