• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Progressive Rifling

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are a few advantages to progressive rifling that haven't been discussed. What I'll discuss here is heat;

When we look at the event of the main charge igniting, and sending the projectile on it's way, there is a tremendous acceleration / g- forces of the projectile involved. With softer mediums like lead, that acceleration tends to compress it, and the pressure squeezes and obdurates it so it can fill the grooves of the rifling. (Round balls coming out of a barrel are always somewhat flattened, and show some rifling marks.) That swaging process generates a lot of heat through friction. (Anecdote; The Earth's core is around 8000 degrees. That heat is largely due to the friction generated by the internal liquid materials due to the daily effects of a gravitational directional differential from the moon. There are currents within the Earth's interior.) Similarly, the projectile is being accelerated from a spin rate of zero to many thousands of rpm's. The rifling essentially "grabs" the bullet and imparts a spin to it. Again, that acceleration and friction (with the barrel) necessary to spin it creates heat. In a gain twist barrel, less heat is generated in the initial slower twist chamber area, but is more spread out over the entire barrel length as the bullet's spin rate is increased, resulting in less throat erosion. Hot metal is less resistant to erosion than cold metal. The Italians used this phenomenon when they made their Carcano rifles, in an effort to help keep barrel heat down over a sustained firing string, and extend barrel life.

Note; Have you ever looked at the base of a swaged bullet after it's been shot? It's usually all dimpled to mirror the shape of the unburned contacting powder granules. That's a lot of pressure to dent those in there. With round balls, some times the cloth weave pattern is slightly imprinted too.

The second item is that, with smaller charges that don't obdurate the bullet as much is that with a slower twist the ball is less likely to "jump the rifling" (with slower twist rifling and not fully engage it.

The progressive depth thing wouldn't really do that much to mitigate heat build-up. In fact, because of the continual swaging of the bullet, it would generate some more along the way rather than less. But, if the bullet didn't fully swage in to the grooves earlier, the shallower nature of them toward the muzzle would be more sure to make sure the bullet got the full spin. The gas blow-by would have already happened closer to the breech.

Thermal imaging tells us that surface temperatures of modern gun bullets is between 100C and 300C (which is hot enough to sterilize them). Most of that temperature is generated through barrel bore friction.

Last edited:
Progressive or gain twist, whichever they built my 1863 Springfield with it sure likes Minies….
(unlike my cheap Spanish Zouave… which I assume to have straight rifling)

It also works with some conicals. The key is the length to caliber. A round ball is almost exactly 1:1. Some short conicals are in that area too. A round ball theoretically contacts the bore only at the tangent point of the circumference.

My theory on long bullets not working in gain twist is the front of the bullet is being twisted faster than the rear putting a torque effect on the bullet and causing either the nose or base to jump the rifling.
I think the terminology/choice of words is what confuses me? I am aware of the depth change in rifling in some rifles. I knew that the Italians had progressive riflings in their WW2 Carcano rifles but the bullet was very long compared to other military rifles. I don't recall any other military rifles that used progressive riflings in shoulder arms?

Note! Looked up more info on this subject and found out that almost all of top shooters for NSSA shot progressive arms. This type of rifling was also used in War Between States by snipers. :dunno:
Yes the best shooters use progressive depth rifling in the NSSA. But it wasn’t restricted to snipers during the Civil War. almost all rifles designed for Minnie Bullets, Springfield, Enfield etc. had progressive depth rifling.

Note! Looked up more info on this subject and found out that almost all of top shooters for NSSA shot progressive arms. This type of rifling was also used in War Between States by snipers. :dunno:
Progressive depth rifling was standard on British Enfield rifles. Parker-Hale also used it on their reproduction Enfields. On the Pattern 1853 Enfield rifle-musket (the ‘three-band Enfield’) the rifling was 0.015in deep at the breech, reducing to 0.005in at the muzzle. On the P.58 Naval and later Short Rifles it was 0.013 deep at the breech, reducing again to 0.005 at the muzzle. After initial expansion on firing, the bullet is effectively slightly swaged as it passes along the barrel, preventing gas blow by. Also helps with fouling control.

Gain twist rifling increases in pitch from breech to muzzle. Some British rifles including Lancaster, Kerr and Metford used gain twist rifling.

Some pre-Civil War American target rifles had gain twist rifling. Some of these private rifles saw use by Sharpshooters during the war, and may be where the confusion is arising with progressive depth rifling.

David

Progressive depth rifling was standard on British Enfield rifles. Parker-Hale also used it on their reproduction Enfields. On the Pattern 1853 Enfield rifle-musket (the ‘three-band Enfield’) the rifling was 0.015in deep at the breech, reducing to 0.005in at the muzzle. On the P.58 Naval and later Short Rifles it was 0.013 deep at the breech, reducing again to 0.005 at the muzzle. After initial expansion on firing, the bullet is effectively slightly swaged as it passes along the barrel, preventing gas blow by.
So just how was this rifling cut?? I have always wondered.

Back