• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Problem with Traditions .32 accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like too how a front sight or too high a rear sight. I suppose there could be something unusual about the sight picture you're using or your hold, but I wouldn't expect that to move POI 6" at 25 yards.

Have you called Traditions? There's always "something wrong" with their email system, so don't waste the electrons for an online contact. I think there's an 800# at their site, if not also on the lit that came with your rifle.

One last throught- Did you buy it used? If so a previous owner might have filed too much off the front sight.

Brett has asked the more important question, "how does it group?" If grouping OK, then a new front sight, or filing the rear a bit should take care of POI problems. Can you see any evidence of filing on either sight? Someone not knowledgeable may have filed the wrong sight. Emery

I agree with Brett and Mazo! If the rifle is grouping at 25yds. but six inches high then you got your most important hurdle out of the way!

Getting a group is the most important thing at any yardage. That will mean your load, lube, and patch are working well. Then you can begin to adjust elavation and windage, to bring it dead center!
After I make windage adjustments necessary to get sights on center. I like to check the rifle at different yardage before I do alot of filing the sight. You can always file a bit more off, it's harder to add it back! :wink:
Some things to watch while trying sight in and get a group at any yardage is getting a consistant sight picture, breathing, and the squeeze of the trigger.

If it turns out the front sight has already been filed off too short, you don't necessarily have to replace it. You don't mention which model you have, but I've got their Crockett. If yours is a different model but has the same sights, the same circumstance may also apply to yours.

The rear sight on the Crockett has a couple of little "horns" on it, more or less a nod toward semi-buckhorn style. These are sharp and unfortunately the sight is located right at the rifle's center of gravity. As a result the rifle rides with the sight inside your hand during one-handed carry.

It's pretty standard for folks to round off or remove the horns completely.

While doing so you could also file down the top of the rear sight to lower the POI of a group, though I can't guess how much is required to move your group 6" at 25 yards. You are likely to have to deepen the rear notch at the same time you file off some of the top flat, however. When doing so you want to be careful not to widen the notch. It's just about the perfect width as it sits.

The notch is small enough that you'll need the right needle file to reach in there and do it though. There's a needle file that has cutting surfaces only on the narrow sides and not on the wide flat surfaces. It's my favorite for sight jobs because it cuts the bottom of the notch without cutting the sides and widening the notch.

If you dont have a needle file you can use a dremel tool. I use one to shape and cut my sights with. The cutting wheels are thin enough to use in tight places.If you use a dremel go slow and take you time with a steady hand or you will be getting another site. Whats took off cant be put back.

Six inches at 25 yards is a lot of correction. Since I don't know your exact sight radius I can not provide an exact calculation, but as a rough estimate, you would have to cut down the rear sight by more than .150" and I'm not sure that can be done. I would definitely advise getting a taller front sight, or perhaps soldering a brass bead on top of the present front sight.
As an after-thought, are you sure you are using the correct sight picture? Sometimes people are confused by a semi-buckhorn rear sight and don't know where to hold the top of the front sight.

I also like a 6:00 hold so my point of impact is a little high to begin with.

Back