• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Priming powder location in the pan

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is one of the two conversions that ended up with a high vent location...note the actual hole sits on top of that imaginary line, and that it's also a couple eyelashes behind centerline of the pan but it seems very fast...always thought it was because of the vent location

IMG_0084.jpg

roundball said:
This is one of the two conversions that ended up with a high vent location...note the actual hole sits on top of that imaginary line, and that it's also a couple eyelashes behind centerline of the pan but it seems very fast...always thought it was because of the vent location

IMG_0084.jpg

Roundball,
It looks like the liner has an exterior cone - maybe quite a bit. And I'm also curious about the diameter at the web. Is it a stock/typical liner as TC would sell? I'd be interested in any information about the liner. Thanks.

Regards,
Pletch

TC introduced a significantly redesigned liner several years ago now which is extremely fast...attributes are:

Heavily coned inside, and has about a .030" thick divider wall with a large hole about 5/64" size...can almost start a 5/64" drill bit into it but not quite...I think a #70 drill bit will just make it in. The outside also has a very large cone effect because of the "well" created by the design to use a hex wrench instead of a screwdriver.

Furthermore, there is additional performance design detail in these liners...the very outer edge of the top of the hex well has a 45* angled bevel all around it to collect as much heat pulse as possible...then at the very bottom of the hex well, there's another 45* bevel that further funnels the heat pulse into the hole itself.

And finally, there's a flared edge or collar that seats up tight agtainst the breech plug material around the threaded seat in the plug which serves as a positive stop so the depth of the vent is at the same place every time it's removed or cleaning and reinstalled...may add an additional element of sealing too.

My best way of describing the design improvements TC made to its lock and vent liners in the '90s. is that with Goex 4F prime & 3F main, the new lock, and the new vent...it's like shooting a .30-30.

And I don't know if its a result of the patent breech design, or the redesigned vent liner, or both, or neither, but the vent is what I'd call self cleaning...don't own a vent pick, never use one.

The combination of the above components result in excellent ignition and there are just no failures...I have yet to have a single misfire or problem related to equipment...any misfire I've ever has been operator error only.

Thanks Roundball,
I try to keep up on everything relating to flintlocks. I checked the humidity in the garage today and found it between 50-60%. That's so close to our readings earlier that I will time the low vent today.
Regards,
Pletch

Are you sure that its the powder in the pan? It could also be a partial blockage of the flash channel.

Pan powder should be about 1/2 of the pan spread across to pan. Usually about 3 to 4 grains of powder.

Assuming you are using real blackpowder in both the pan and for the main charge, would check that the flash channel is not blocked and/or the touchhole diameter isn’t undersized.

Last edited:
Check flint location as well. Properly located flint should be aiming right at the flash hole when the cock is fully down and after it engages the frizzen. Sometimes the flint mounted one way or the other, causes it to not be truly in a line to the flash hole. It may not seem like it should be an issue but it is. An improperly mounted flint while still being able to ignite the powder for some reason can also cause the flash to not want to enter the flash hole.

A few years back in muzzle blasts they did a very complete test on location of powder in the pan. The conclusions were that banking away from the touch hole sounded faster but with a high speed camera was actually considerably slower. Also banking against the touch hole the flame penetrated deeper into the barrel. I've also found a flush touch hole to be more reliable than a counter sink from the out side . Jim Chambers white lightning liners fit the bill. I used to make my own but Jim's are cheap and work well. If you are having ignition problems try one. Think you will be happy. Just remember to file it flush with the barrel. Some people drill the hole to 1/16 but I leave it as it comes. Lasts longer.

Back