• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Price per round BP 44 cal vs 45 LC loaded and purchased

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cadmandu

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have studied this question and came up with an estimated price please see below and give me your opinion.
Also I need a ball park price on the money needed to purchase loading equipment for the 45 LC or Schoefield brass.
P.S. Which is more accurate the cap and ball or the 45

BP 44 Cal hand loaded .30 a round
45 LC loaded at home .50 a round
45 LC purchased 1.00 a round

Thanks

Middletown va 22645
Hawkeye told me about a store called back creek 20 miles away but they r only open during the reinactment season. I was told you can call some guy and he will open the store just for you. But this feels a little to much to ask just for a 25.00 purchase. I would like to go to Taylor and company

I cast so it's easiest for me to just load a 1858 with whatever I want to.
That third one from the left is supposed to say 35 grains, a fair load behind 225 grains of lead.
These were penetration tests in stacked paper soaked in water until it had turned to jelly.
Thought it was pretty cool to see virtually the same results for round ball versus a semi-wadcutter.
1858 452066 vs RB.jpg

Jackie's shop is right beside his home and he farms so he is usually on the property anyway. I'm sure he will welcome you (and your $$ :D ) He has no regular hours except to be open on Sundays of any skirmish at Ft. Shenandoah. Taylor's & Co. are nice people and it's worthwhile stopping by there to see their showroom but they don't carry caps and powder.

That
I cast so it's easiest for me to just load a 1858 with whatever I want to.
That third one from the left is supposed to say 35 grains, a fair load behind 225 grains of lead.
These were penetration tests in stacked paper soaked in water until it had turned to jelly.
Thought it was pretty cool to see virtually the same results for round ball versus a semi-wadcutter.
View attachment 118707
That is some great data. Thanks alot.

Jackie's shop is right beside his home and he farms so he is usually on the property anyway. I'm sure he will welcome you (and your $$ :D ) He has no regular hours except to be open on Sundays of any skirmish at Ft. Shenandoah. Taylor's & Co. are nice people and it's worthwhile stopping by there to see their showroom but they don't carry caps and powder.
Okay thanks I just felt bad about making some guy go out of his way for a small sale.

I'm very blessed to live close to Taylor and company and back creek and old hawkeye

I did these calculations years ago. If you top up your loads your 44 will
equal enery in the range between two popular and common modern handgun loads. Using T-7
of course ,or Blackhorn with kicker. See Duelist 1954 and his tests
on youtube. If you like shooting with Cowboy type revolvers, there
is no advantage in power by using the centerfire conversions cylinders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Middletown va 22645
Hawkeye told me about a store called back creek 20 miles away but they r only open during the reinactment season. I was told you can call some guy and he will open the store just for you. But this feels a little to much to ask just for a 25.00 purchase. I would like to go to Taylor and company

A fella like that who runs an open by appointment only store is not trying to make a lot of money. He is just providing a service to the community and likely welcomes the chance to chat up with like minds. I'd call him and set an appointment with him, and block out a half hour of chat time.

Hi All,
I have studied this question and came up with an estimated price please see below and give me your opinion.
Also I need a ball park price on the money needed to purchase loading equipment for the 45 LC or Schoefield brass.
P.S. Which is more accurate the cap and ball or the 45

BP 44 Cal hand loaded .30 a round
45 LC loaded at home .50 a round
45 LC purchased 1.00 a round

Thanks
Try going to Castboolits forum a great cartridge oriented site and good people

Back