• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pre Purchase Questions - barrel liners etc.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I may buy an antique "rifle". It is a percussion rifle. The owner said it was a fowler but has a .58 caliber rifled barrel liner. The liner seems to measure right at .58 on the grooves. The liner has a faint line at the muzzle but it is clean. ROT looks to be around 1:74. The nipple does come out although not sure of the thread. The hammer holds at half and full cock. The single trigger releases the hammer with around 3-pounds. Two rear sights, one fixed and a flip-up blade for the second distance. Front sight appears a square post. I don't have photos because it isn't mine yet but I have viewed the "rifle". Anything you can think of that I should be looking at or investigating? The original "fowler" ( I suppose ) is from around 1863 according to owner. The engraving seems to be re-cut, some bluing appears newer and the liner is very clean, hinting at recent upgrades. The owner purchased it from a known person but has never fired it. The known person is a beneficiary of the previous owner and has no information.

Could you be a little more cryptic? A picture would at least tell us what you are trying to describe. Can't tell anything from your description. A percussion fowler and 58 caliber sounds an awful lot like a chopped up Civil War Musket.

"fowler" "musket" Terms the public seem to apply to any old gun. It sounds like you are looking at a Civil War rifle musket that may have been modified from its original configuration. If it was of military origin there would have been no engraving on it, everything was done with stamps. If you can supply us with some photos I'm sure the guys here can be of a lot of help but right now you could be talking about a Springfield, an Enfield or who knows what. Knowing the asking price would help too.

Here are some photos
RIfle 1.jpeg
Rifle 2 (2).jpeg

Two rear sights on a fowler? The underside of the barrel is marked "15", so 15 bore originally? Apparently someone converted a shotgun to rifle.

Back