• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Recommendations

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Poet

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I posted a while ago about a Nilgai hunt coming up in Feb., 2021. Found out I will not be needing night vision, thank goodness!
However, now I need some advice on loading for this tough skinned animal. I am shooting a Tip Curtis, heavy swamped 54 cal. PRB barrel 44 " long, swaged lead bullet. I usually shoot 70 gr. 3f Old Ensford, same in pan (flintlock). Good accuracy.
I am thinking of working up a load using 100, 110, 120 and 130 gr., and selecting the best for accuracy and penetration on 2x8 pine boards.
Does anyone have any experience with heavy loads for a 54 rock lock? Nilgai are thick skinned and as large as an elk, usually larger. They are tough!
I have been shooting muzzleloaders for fifty years, but not at a beast like this! I need the knowledge base from ML Forum to help me select the right loading for this once in a lifetime hunt.
I'm not ashamed to admit this is above my experience level, so help!
Thanks in advance,
1Poet

The largest Nilgai ever recorded weighed 679 lbs. I think you will find the "average" Nilgai bull will be about 4' @ the shoulder & weigh in the 400-500 lb range. No where near as large as a mature bull elk, but more the size of a cow elk. They do not wear Kelvar vest, but can absorb some punishment if not hit in a vital organ, blood vessel, or CNS. Like anything, good shot placement will dispatch them quite effectively. Usually, ML's are considered to have a range of around 100 yards, so I would think Silent Walker's suggested load would be more than adequate. Can't see any benefit of going to 100+ grain loads, unless you like recoil. Accuracy trumps velocity is my motto! If you are going for one of those Texas Nilgai, you will easily get closer than 100 yards, making a heart shot within reason. Good Luck! BTW, the meat is fantastic & the "Blue" hide makes a great "man cave" display!!

Back