• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Potency

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sevendozen

32 Cal
Reaction score
So, I've tried to do a bit of research before I asked this, but I don't seem to be finding my answer.

Does powder lose its potency?

Please note that my question is not whether it will still go bang or not...it will, and it does. My question is the possibility of diminishing potency of that powder over time, while still in optimal conditions/temperatures. Does it get weaker? Does it burn faster/slower or less efficiently?

Keep black powder away from moisture and it doesn't weaken. Substitutes may weaken. There are some who have used substitutes after long storage who claim little loss of power. Most will tell of substitute powders losing strength in the course of one hunting season. I wouldn't worry about losing powder with real black powder.

For now two month I'm shooting an old black powder from the end of the seventies, I found it in the old material of a friend of mine who is/was gunsmith now retired since a couple of month...
The quality of this powder was not the finest in this time but this is now exactly like at this time (yet this powder is no more existing for a long time in any shop) : the black powder can stay very, very long time in the can or bottle and work like at the first day...
JAFvO2DxnXB_Poudre-PNT2.jpg

Back