• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

POWDER MAGAZINE

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackfoot

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok I just picked up a metal gun safe from a guy down the street, I don't see a makers name on it but reminds me of a "stack on" style kind of "tin" feel to it.

I thought that it might make a good magazine for black powder.

What are your thoughts about it? Good idea?
Should it be grounded?

The only room that I can put it besides the garage is the laundry room/ furnace room (it is good sized) where I can bolt it to the wall studs.

:grin: As for a powder magazine---the problem with a "safe" is the door. Powder magazine (especially the one I own ) have a loosely fitting, lockable cover. The purpose is that (god forbid) you twenty pounds of BP ignites and blows, instead of the magazine acting like a bomb----the cover will blow off and reduce the blast effect considerably. Fire underwriters (insurance companies)prefer this type of magazine. Try the Maine Powder House for information on magazines. :hmm:

Blackfoot,
Just wondering how much powder do you
intend to keep on hand at any given time??
snake-eyes :hmm:

This "safe" has a door that is just held closed by the lock latch. It is made of sheet metal.

I would think that the doors would blow right off since it is sheet metal and losely fit.

I plan on having around 10 pounds of black on hand and do havd several pounds of pyrodex here to that would go in there.

Should it be grounded?

IMO, a powder magazine should have one prerequisite, top should be the pressure relief portion.

I keep from 10 to 35 lbs on hand in the cardboard boxes it is shipped in. :haha:

Makes no difference if it's grounded. Static won't ignite black powder like it will a fuel vapor. Might prevent galvanic corrosion . . . or encourage it depending on what it's grounded to and with. :haha: You probably won't be transferring it between containers while inside the safe, anyway.

Back