• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Magazine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it is odd that for over 100 yrs. that it was the method that was used, what has changed? I know that it is shipped in plastic / nylon containers of some kind now.

Tin cans have soldered seams that will fail in a fire before the powder ignites. Ammo boxes do not.
I think when a house burns up down that an ammo box stands just about as much a chance of not exploding as a cat in hell with a cheloid a$$ hole. I believe that ammo cans were not made the survive a fire. they were made to carry ammo? at least when I served. I may be wrong? jmho.

That makes a certain degree of intuitive sense, and I understand your safety point, but you might want to check on the description of BATF magazine types.

A Type 3 magazine (portable magazine) is REQUIRED to be of "no less than 12-gauge steel ...", Type 4 magazines (if not masonry) MUST be "metal-covered" or "fabricated metal" (and I'm thinking that exploding masonry is no less problematic than exploding steel), and Type 5 Indoor Magazines must be of "solid wood or metal" but the hinges and hasps must be "attached by welding" (presumably to metal) or by riveting or bolting. I guess you could argue that the BATF magazine requirements ignore a certain level/type of safety, but the differences involved in flying metal from hasps/hinges vs. thin-walled steel (and so not exactly a pipe bomb) may be largely academic as a matter of practicality.

In any event, I think there are practical arguments to be made on either side of this issue, and neither seems to entirely carry the day against the other. In my own case, I feel a little more comfortable with the tool box than with a wooden container (and partly because it does satisfy the Type 3 requrement for portability). Whatever the powder is in, it will provide no more threat than the acetylene B tank on the other side of the garage, the several small propane or mapp gas canisters on some shelves, or the 100 gal. propane tank sitting right outside the front corner of the building. :(

So I also tend to agree with the "overthinking" comment, in part because there's just no ideal choice here that fits all the criteria for safety that we'd like. It reminds me of a conversation I heard reported between a collector and an old Russian soldier concerning how dreadfully difficult it is to use the safeties on Mosin-Nagant rifles: "Is not safe. Is gun." 🙄:)
The BATF descriptions for a type 3 and type 4 storage magazines are designed for portable magazines, those that can be moved. Type 3 magazines are designed for use with high explosives and type 4 magazines are for use with low explosives like black powder. The BATF regulations can be confusing and sometimes hard to understand but no one has ever accused the BATF of being practical.

DO NOT store black powder or any other gun powder for that matter in a STEEL container. That is a pipe bomb in the event of a fire. Use a wood chest or locker. I store mine in a simple kitchen type cabinet high enough off the floor that the grandkids can't get into it.
The BATF regulations states that a type 4 indoor portable storage magazine can be fabricated out of steel of no less than 18 gauge, but it must be covered in a spark resistant material. That’s why we Powdercoat our storage magazines.

Scott

The BATF regulations states that a type 4 indoor portable storage magazine can be fabricated out of steel of no less than 18 gauge, but it must be covered in a spark resistant material. That’s why we Powdercoat our storage magazines.

Scott
For home storage, I'll stick with a wood one.

I think when a house burns up down that an ammo box stands just about as much a chance of not exploding as a cat in hell with a cheloid a$$ hole. I believe that ammo cans were not made the survive a fire. they were made to carry ammo? at least when I served. I may be wrong? jmho.
Ammo cans were designed to carry ammo but also for long term storage, possibly in the outside elements. Also to for BP but for smokeless powder rounds. A big difference between BP and smokeless powder.

The hardware where I buy BP stores it in a brick shed about 30 yards from their building. There are no other structures nearby. They have told me they do this at the behest of their insurance company.

it is odd that for over 100 yrs. that it was the method that was used, what has changed? I know that it is shipped in plastic / nylon containers of some kind now.
They use plastic basically for cost cutting. There is nothing bad about metal cans or the BATF would not have allowed it.

From a Swiss 1 lb.

Storage of Black Powder

1. Store in original packaging
2. Do not store with other combustible materials
3. Store product within locals, state and federal laws.
4. Store in a cool dry place with lid tightly closed.

It is perfectly safe to store BP under the bed on your wife's side.

This eliminates trips to a remote storage area, where it could be hot or cold when going there.

For some entertaining research, I looked into what was required for insurance and regulations to be a black powder dealer. Pages upon pages........

DO NOT store black powder or any other gun powder for that matter in a STEEL container. That is a pipe bomb in the event of a fire. Use a wood chest or locker. I store mine in a simple kitchen type cabinet high enough off the floor that the grandkids can't get into it.

Agreed, I store my stout wooden chest under the bed where its handy for me to get out, unlock and count the containers on sleepless nights, kinda makes me feel warm and fuzzy....

I store mine in an old fridge , it is heat resistant and the door would blow open if the powder inside got hot enough to ignite , it is stored in the garage which is isolated from the house .

Back