• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Magazine Accident 1654

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In 1654 in the Dutch city of Delft, a gunpowder magazine accident blew up whole blocks of the City. You'd think they would have placed it outside the city limits! Not to make light, but maybe one of those Dutch Masters on the cigar boxes was lighting one up too close to the building!:rolleyes: By way of truth in advertising, did the Dutch even have tobacco from America at that time? I have to read up on Sir Walter Raleigh and his time line.

Yes, the Dutch were major traders of American tobacco at that time. I've been reading a couple of books on New Netherland (what became New York, New Jersey, etc.). My earliest ancestor in America was one of the original 30 families (actually Walloon refugees) that the Dutch settled on Manhattan Island in 1624. The Dutch authorities struggled to get the settlers to concentrate on growing food rather than tobacco which could be exported at a profit. Dutch trading ships also bought a lot of tobacco from English Virginia growers. The government back in England did not like that at all.

The reason the magazine is inside the town is pretty damn obvious. At that time the whole of Europe had just emerged from the Thrty Years War, and then the first Anglo-Dutch War. Cities were fortified with star fort citadels tooled up with many cannon.
To deter or withstand seige, they needed tons of gunpowder inside the defenses.

I suggest a visit to the powder magazine in Charleston, SC. Built around 1713 to store powder for the defense of the city using best technology of the time. EG: Copper bands on the powder kegs so they would not spark. Arched brick roof designed to direct a blast upwards rather than outwards. Would it work? Dunno.

I think I would have lived barely outside the city limits...just far enough and just close enough that our old grey mare could get the family inside in time! I don't think Indians were much of a problem in Dutch Europe at that time. I may be incorrect?

Back