• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder horn stain question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is Minwax wood stain a good product to use to add color to a horn?

Just because I don't have enough aggravation in my life, I am trying my hand at shaping and scrimshawing a powder horn. I am filing an octagon on the spout end and there is a pretty fair amount of dark color in the horn. I was taking a break and looked across the garage and realized I have several cans of dark wood stain. They are the normal various shades of walnut, but I also have a can of ebony. If it will work, I won't have to chase down RIT dye...

I'm surely not an expert, but what would it hurt to try a small amount? :idunno: Go lightly, and scrape it off if you don't like it. I like using "what I have" instead of buying something else!
Ed

If you have a cut-off from making the horn still available, you could try using that as a test piece as well.

Unfortunately I don't...
I also need a way to better see where I have filed, or still need to file, and had someone give me an idea I am going to try. Since I am still working it, I am going to give liquid shoe polish a try...

Thanks everyone!
I have found out that thanks to less than ideal light and eyesight, when combined with the horn color, it would definitely be to my advantage to use some kind of marking / indicating color while I work certain areas. I think this will give me the opportunity to test out various solutions since I can apply them knowing in advance that they will be coming off as I work. Since I already have some, I am starting with leather dye I have.

In case you haven't been able to determine it yet, I am one of those guys that usually has to learn things the hard way! If nothing else, It definitely gives me a better appreciation of what people who normally do, and excel, at these things go through!

Minwax stains -- rubs off over time and doesn't penitrate all that well.

Some leather stains have a tendency to wear off and fade.

RIT dye is your best choice for color combination mixing, color fast and durability. There are many different things for dying a powder horn including: Aquafortis, Potassium Permanganate, Onion skins, Sumac, Cold smoking horn, hair dye,
Walnut hulls etc. etc.

The above is just a few!

Rick

John, you must really be 'out in the weeds...' the local big box grocery store would never carry RIT - they're pretending to be all sophisticated and suave ... they pander to the skiers and other flatlanders who come up here from "the city" to buy organic junk that looks and tastes like shredded cardboard ... I have to go to the hardware store to get RIT.

going to the hardware store is a very dangerous thing for me ... this is a real hardware store with creaky narrow planked wooden floors and pressed tin ceiling and a zillion drawers full of stuff you never knew existed and now realize that you can't avoid purchasing ... and they have mantles for your kerosene lantern and when I buy cheesecloth there and they ask, what are you making? and I answer, "cheese," they don't look at me as though they are gonna run screaming off into the sunset...
:wink:

I have used liquid shoe polish ( brown ) on mine withe go0d results. put some on then wipe of till desired color.

MSW said:
going to the hardware store is a very dangerous thing for me ... this is a real hardware store with creaky narrow planked wooden floors and pressed tin ceiling and a zillion drawers full of stuff you never knew existed and now realize that you can't avoid purchasing ... and they have mantles for your kerosene lantern and when I buy cheesecloth there and they ask, what are you making? and I answer, "cheese," they don't look at me as though they are gonna run screaming off into the sunset...
:wink:

:rotf:

warning: :eek:ff

I've always liked Starbucks in a perverse sort of way. you walk up in there smelling like a barnyard, give the happy-chirpy clerk your very best thousand meter stare and, completely deadpan, just say, very quietly,
'coffee. black."
(you must have absolutely no facial expression when you do this, or you will spoil the effect)

ms. happy-chirpy will come back with something about how would you like double espresso-latte with sprinkles or somesuch - fuggetaboudit.
just repeat, very quietly,
"coffee. black"

gives 'em something to talk about (other than the latest boy band)

sometimes I try to get in touch with my inner schmuck: how am I doing?

I don't do a lot of horn work, but You're right about the leather dyes. The trick to get them to stay is to apply them before you polish the horn surface.

The Browns...medium, dark, etc., tend to green a little but the British Tan will give a more brown/reddish tone.

If the Horn experts are telling you to use RIT, use RIT.

MSW said:
warning: :eek:ff

I've always liked Starbucks in a perverse sort of way. you walk up in there smelling like a barnyard, give the happy-chirpy clerk your very best thousand meter stare and, completely deadpan, just say, very quietly,
'coffee. black."
(you must have absolutely no facial expression when you do this, or you will spoil the effect)

ms. happy-chirpy will come back with something about how would you like double espresso-latte with sprinkles or somesuch - fuggetaboudit.
just repeat, very quietly,
"coffee. black"

gives 'em something to talk about (other than the latest boy band)

sometimes I try to get in touch with my inner schmuck: how am I doing?

Our's is staffed during the day by some little 'guy' who has rainbow colored hair who wears matching bright, rainbow colored clothes. Skinny jeans that are two sizes too small, with legs and arms smaller than my wrists. I go by every once in a while in the hopes I will get to see him suddenly burst into flames but it hasn't yet. He always seems disappointed when I tell him I refuse to pay half as much for one cup of coffee that I can pay for a three pound can. The confused look he gets trying to process that is actually pretty funny!

My wife works at a farm and home store in the boot department. I went to pick her up and found myself standing next to a shelf full of 4 oz bottles of Riesing leather dye. I figured what the heck - $3 is a cheap test.

The most controllable applicator I have handy was a Q-tip. It took about two minutes to do a very controlled, no mess, no over-run coloring of four inches of the horn. As a marking dye for working the horn, this stuff, to quote my grandfather, is slicker than snot on a doorknob!

yeah, that'll happen! I use a sharpie to draw in my lines, as I file I just keep re-lining as I go. stays better than a pencil! :redface:
glad to hear the Dye worked for ya! as for RIT, Wal-Mart usually has it, Ben Franklins (if there's one near ya) or any "craft" type store usually carries it as well.

Be sure to post pics of your progress for us!

Plan B: Here is a trick that I use when filing flats and spirals in a horn spout or main body. Paint the area to be filed with white acrylic craft paint. Let's you see exactly where your filing 100%. Excess paint comes right off later with a little soap and water or #0000 steel wool. ____ No need to keep re-marking the area with a Sharpee pen.

Now "Git-er-done"!

Rick

Horner is the resident expert. Heed his words of you really want to stain.
I belive the best color is what comes naturally from just using the horn. I have two sets of fine horns. One is just for display and is seldom handled. The other has been extensively used. I really like the effect of use and time on the used ones the best.
This is a do yer own thang game. Do wat floats yer stick.

Latest posts

Back