• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Horn Shavings

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grant

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Okay I freely admit, I'm dumb. I bought a powder horn and used it today for the first time. Filled it with powder, went to the range, and fille the powder measure. Guess what I see, mixed in with my powder are lots of horn shavings and some wood shavings. :( I said to myself "Self, that was awful dumb not to make sure the horn was cleaned out before using it". What do you guys suggest I do? I thought I'd fill it with corn meal (maybe) shake the horn a lot and dump it out to see if that works out the loose shavings. Any helpful hints appreciated.

Plain white play sand like the kiddies use...

Shake 'er good and it will knock any shavings loose.

Legion

grant said:
Okay I freely admit, I'm dumb. I bought a powder horn and used it today for the first time. Filled it with powder, went to the range, and fille the powder measure. Guess what I see, mixed in with my powder are lots of horn shavings and some wood shavings. :( I said to myself "Self, that was awful dumb not to make sure the horn was cleaned out before using it". What do you guys suggest I do? I thought I'd fill it with corn meal (maybe) shake the horn a lot and dump it out to see if that works out the loose shavings. Any helpful hints appreciated.

The burning horn smell might give you a bit of privacy at the range. :grin:

One thing you might try to remove bits and pieces of horn and wood shavings is - take a piece of thin wire or you can use sinew about 12 inches long and fold it in half. You don't have to flatten it out - you just want to be able to push it up through the spout. Turn the horn upside down and shake it lightly - then pull the wire or sinew slowly down, out from the spout. You may need to do this a few times - I think you'll find this will remove the shavings.
I had to do this once due to a broken plug that was pushed inside the horn - beautiful horn but it had that anoying rattle due to the wood stopper inside - I removed the broken piece with a piece of sinew as described. The guy that sold me the horn for $10.00 couldn't believe it and kicked himself for not trying it.
hope this helps ..... Wart

Back