• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder horn prices?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again to all for your replies. I will likely end up with making another order from TotW now haha... my shooter's bag and tomahawk from them should be arriving today!

The things I would worry about in a cheap horn are the seal between the horn and plug and the thickness of the horn around the spout. You need an air- and water-tight seal between the horn and the plug for both function and safety (and you shouldn't have to rely *much* on wax or other substance, as a properly fitted plug driven into a hot horn is airtight.) The thickness of the horn around the spout should be thin enough that you can pour easily. A horn left too thick is also heavy for its capacity, but that is less of a problem.

I've seen some really awful, completely unusable horns for sale at battlefield gift shops and a local antique store. I hope Tracks are better.

I have never gotten anything from Track that wasn't top quality. Like I said, a friend of mine bought one of the less expensive horns from Track and was very happy with what he got. That was several years ago and he is still using it and very satisfied with it.

I just wish they gave more detail on the website because it is hard to tell from just 1 photo what the quality difference is between a $16 horn and $70 horn. I'm tempted to just try the cheap one out for now and then go from there.

I found more details on the $16 horn from TotW and it says the hole in the pour spout may not even be drilled all the way through, so may require some work on the part of whoever buys it. Anyway, I am really checking out the powder horns from the first link you gave me, powderhornsandmore. What size of horn wold you all recommend? Their medium, which ranges from 8"-10.5" or the large which is 11"-14"? Also, what do you each prefer as far as color, white or some other, darker color?

I needed a larger powder horn quick, so I got one of the cheap-o India-made horns. I immediately cutv off the big, ugly acorn-shaped sow-tit on the wooden plug end & drilled it out to install a threaded brass plug from TOtW for filling & attaching a strap. The pour end has a fiddle peg stopper. also from Track. Some filing and reshaping & it looks respectable. The plug fit is good - I didn't even have to remove it to seal it up.

Now, on to the first horn I made back in 1970 - it was out on the workbench for a while & some kind of beetle larvae ate holes into the surface - I need to fill the holes & refinish the unsightly holes to rehab my first-built horn. Likely a winter project.

Plug and stopper for me too.

I do have a couple of flask I use from time to time.

Mostly for small bore rifle shooting.

if yer gonna want to scratch yer name and/or "pitchers" on it get a nice white horn. if not, just pick out one that looks 'purty' to ya.

This is the one my friend got and he is still happy with it after having and using it for a few years. https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/76/1/HORN-D

It is 11 inches long and will hold all the powder you are ever likely to need at one time. You will need a horn strap, which you can make yourself, and it will need a thong for the fiddle peg stopper but it is one heck of a deal if you just want a serviceable powder horn.

Last edited by a moderator:
you could just go to the 'classifieds' here & buy that awesome "Liberty" horn Horner75 has for sale. :thumbsup:

For general shooting I'd recommended the medium size. My own horn is about 13" long, which I've found to be a pretty good size.

I have a 10 inch (ish) flat horn that fits nicely in my pouch or pocket with the plain old plug up. It's also translucent and I can see my powder level. :thumbsup:

It's a plain Jane but very well made horn and cost $60 from a professional horner.

Back