• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Horn, not sure of the concept

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just had to show these two pictures I got off an ebay add selling a cows' horn that can be made into a powder horn with only a little work. Honest, that's what the ad said. So here's the pics of the horn. What I would like to know is how I'm gonna make a powder horn out of this if I'm the winning bidder, or should I just not bid on them as it might be a little too much work. :rotf:
horn2.jpg
horn.jpg

Any advice would be welcome YMHS Bill

I sure wouldn't bid on them...the guy selling them either has no idea of what a powder horn is...or he is some kind of scam artist. Now...it may be the tips are salvageable for a priming horn. "May be" is the thing to consider.

Bill, Oomcurt I am surprised at you guys. Anyone who knows anything about powder horns knows that this is a special kind of powder horn.

The hole in the horn is for a big wooden dowel with a hole in it also, stuck in there so that as you rotate the dowel (plug) it despenses the proper amount of powder with each twist. kind of like a pepper mill, sept it got a handle. now just cause there aint no photos of this particular king of horn don't mean it aint pc either I am sure there was lots of them out there and here you fellers are poking fun at them. So there you have it a powder mill horn. simply place the pointed end of the horn in the barrel and rotate the plug and there you go already measured amount of powder. What would yall do without my help?

rabbit03

A copper or rawhide patch or two and it could work. I actually think the horn has a pretty good shape. To bad it has those big holes in it.

Look, the chap who shoots the cows - his eyes aren't as good as they used to be.....so he went up few calibres thats all... :)

It might be a primitive Biscuit mold or a Traditional Cookie cutter.... :grin:

Looks to me like someone used it for some kind of display. Look at the 2 chains hanging from the top. I know as for a powder horn, that ain't gonna happen, not with out some major work and patching. As for the twist measureing rod.... :hmm:

Swampman said:
A copper or rawhide patch or two and it could work. I actually think the horn has a pretty good shape. To bad it has those big holes in it.
What do ya mean "too bad" Swampman? those holes were clearly put there to check your powder amount! :)

How about some mica site glasses? Some one like Jack Hubbard or Joe Mills could actually make a pretty good horn out of it. I don't think I'm that good.

Hang it from the wall and let your wife set a small flower pot through the holes in the center...will give a wonan's touch to your camp!! :rotf:

:hmm: :hmm: Maybe it was General Custers horn, from the battle of the Little Big Horn :confused:

Doc, now don't go givin' the little woman no such ideas, you'll be comin' home to a big hole in your horn with some herbs or something growin' out of it. :rotf:

Very interesting indeed!
Obviously it was made for a purpose,, just can't imaging what the heck it could of been! :hmm:
(Danged,,,, I'll be wondering about that all night!)

It was origionally a flower pot holder to hang by the door of the primitive lake cottage that you had in the 1880"s Hows that for a sentance. hehehe

When 'ol bossy got stuck in the mud, farmer Brown simply threaded a stout rope thru the holes, hooked it to the John Deere, and pulled her free.
Simple as that! :shocked2:

Depending on the size(hard to tell from the photo) you could plug the big end, cut it off just below the holes through it and plug that end and make a Frech style powder horn(pulverine I believe they were called) run the strap from the bottom (horn standing on end)up both sides. Actually it looks like it may have held a small votive type candle arangement and hung from the chain as a rustic form of light. Interesting item, but anything from e-bay I always say beware the buyer!. just some thoughts YMHS Birdman

like soggy said,,probably from a famous battle,,,just a bullit hole,,, :blah: :blah: :blah:

The more I look at it.. Could it be that at one time it was some kind of home made hanging lamp? Those holes look large enough to house a light bulb socket...the wiring came down and through some sort of finial..just a guess...

Well obviously those holes are to allow air circulation and any water to flow out so it doesn't taint your powder. Don't youse guys know nuttin.

Remember Fearless Fosdick? The detective who was Lil' Abner's hero and always had bullet holes in him.

fosdickrun.gif

Bill of the 45th Parallel said:
horn2.jpg
horn.jpg

Any advice would be welcome YMHS Bill

Fit a glass "window" in the holes (using an old bottle perhaps) and you can see how much powder is in the horn at any given time... :hmm: :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back