• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder can spouts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of folks take a .38 Special or .45 Colt cartridge case, drill out a large hole where the primer would go, and then cut a hole in the powder cap, and epoxy the cartridge on the inside of the cap to make a spout. A cork closes the spout. Then when you buy the next pound of powder, you keep the previous cap that you modified, and then you have a lid for long term storage, and a spout/lid for pouring.

LD

I cut the head off a .30-30 case ran the tapered case thru a drilled hole in the lid and used J-B Weld to attach it firmly. A .41 Mag case makes a nice friction fit cap.

I cut a .243 Winchester case just behind the step, then flared it with a flaring tool. I have epoxied them in plastic caps and soldered them in metal caps. Drill a .308 hole in the cap and insert it from the inside. A plastic cup used to plug unused vacuum holes in a carburetor, makes a good cap for the spout. Keep yer powder dry....robin :hmm:

Last edited by a moderator:
"Damned them plastic cans" - I heartily agree! I just use a small Ted Cash brass funnel that I keep in the shooting box for filling horns and such.

I was going to tell you the same thing that 40flint said but he beat me to it. Since he agrees with me, he is obviously a brilliant man. :haha: So, all I can say now is :metoo:

One thing I might add is that it is a good idea to solder a piece of small brass chain to the .30-30 shell and the other end to the pistol shell that you use as a cap so you don't loose it.

Billnpatti said:
I was going to tell you the same thing that 40flint said but he beat me to it. Since he agrees with me, he is obviously a brilliant man. :haha: So, all I can say now is :metoo:

One thing I might add is that it is a good idea to solder a piece of small brass chain to the .30-30 shell and the other end to the pistol shell that you use as a cap so you don't loose it.

Thanks ya old codger, I think. Hope to see you at Canyon Lake 4th Sat.
TC

Hey. Any MLer shooting goin on up your end of 35? Always need another place to play.

I tried a spout/lid for a Goex metal can and it fit on a plastic Schuetzen can perfectly.

I surely do wish there was something closer, Tom, but, alas, nothing going on up this way. There are a few folks in the area who have muzzleleoaders but I have not been able to get them interested in forming a club or even getting together to shoot once in a while. Two of the guys who live in Sun City ran like scared cats at the mention of forming a club. I haven't heard from them since. Another guy is a fireman who works in Houston and lives in Georgetown who loves to shoot muzzleloaders and has a place on his farm but he is gone so much that we can never seem to get together to shoot. So, right now, the bottom line is that the closest club is WSB in New Braunfels which is about an hour and a half drive each way for me plus the tolls on I-130. I have just finished building a rifle and am looking forward to shooting it at the next WSB match on the 22nd of this month. See ya there.

Back