• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pot de fer ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aapch1

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone make a pot de fer? Know where to get one? What size would the bore be on one of these babies?

Pardon my intrusion I think the expression you are looking for is "pot du feux", hasty translation---"pot of fire". :hmm: "Doc"

Reckon'I might stand corrected according to Wikipedia and the use of "fer" for a canon barrel. However "Pot de feux" is a term I used to speak of a pot of fire a/k/a early fire grenade. The term "petard" , a form of pot de feux refers to another earlier form of thrown munitions, in which a fuse was added to provide an explosion on arrival. The unreliability of early fuses often caused an explosion whilst being heaved,, killing the "grenadier". This gave rise to the expression of "t'was hoist by his own petard." "Doc" :hmm:

That is more mis-information a Petard was a breeching devise that would be attached to a gate to gain entry to a castle or fortress..... usually done under fire.... it was a device that was bell shaped and had fastening points along the rim.... it would be manhandled up against the door or gate and held there with poles while large spikes fastened it to the structure to be breeched and yes once in a while it was either short fused or they had a bad fuse that fired too quick and that IS where the expression "hoisted by your own petard" came from these were used by engineer troops not Grenadiers

Back