• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

possum recipe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graybeard

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone have a recipe for possum? Sure could use a couple, including how to prepare the critter. I hope they eat better than they look. graybeard

I'm not sure about recipes but probably parboiling is part of the method. More than likely tastes alright but your dead on about looks, God is still laughing - one of his dirt ugliest creations!!!!! :blah:

First - catch 'possum. hopefully a young one that has not been eating carrion, and it's diet has been persimmons, grapes, acorns and such.
whack 'possum in the head strongly - knock the 'daylights' out of him - you know what I mean. Slit throat and hang upside down to drain blood out. Boil large pot of water, when boiling dunk 'possum or pour water over. Scrape hair of 'possum as you would scrape a hog. Then remove feet, head and guts.
to cook, I recommend baking in a pre-heated oven at about 325* in a shallow roasting pan with back down, stuff cavity with cut-up sweet potatos, apples and sweet onions with a little red pepper aftersprinkling with salt. should roast for an hour & 3/4 or until well browned. If camping out use a dutch oven with lid on but careful, not too hot. serve with rice, field peas and cornbread.

blizzard, you the man.. never thought anyone could make a 'possum sound tasty.. but you had my mouth watering :bow:

thanks and ..ttfn..grampa..

I hope this does'nt bring a storm of Guffaws onto me but I actually have eaten 'possums prepared in this way-and dutch oven when camping. And they are quite tasty and if cooked right the meat nearly 'falls off the bone'. the fall of the year and early winter is the best time to catch them- if they have'nt been eating carrion (i.e. dead deer that were poorly shot or roadkilled cousins) the taste is similar to suckling pig. I have caught them in rabbit gums a few times and kept them in a cage for 2 weeks (a barrel with rabbit cage wire 'door' works good for this) feeding them apples, dog food, old bread&cornbread, etc. this cleans them out sort of like the Jews do when they buy a carp or when you catch a turtle. this is important with an older, large 'possum. the best ones will be caught around the grape vines, apple orchards, acorn & persimmon mast, berry patches - you get the idea. Good eating actually.

1) Pursue and subdue possum.
2) Ascertain that possum is moribund.
3) Remove possum skin, head, paws, tail, and innards.
4) Fill a large pot with water, enough to make sure the level is well over the possum when submerged in it.
5) Place a small pebble in the bottom of the pot.
6) Place possum carcass in the water.
7) Boil water until pebble is tender.
8) Throw away remaining water and possum carcass.
9) Eat the pebble.

Enjoy,
Larry

ROAST POSSUM WITH SWEET
POTATOES

1 possum
Salt and pepper
1 pod red pepper
1 sweet potato per person

Simmer possum until partially done, changing the stock a couple of times according to age and amount of wild taste. Add a piece of red pepper in the final simmer. Place possum in roaster. Add small amount of water. Sprinkle possum with flour and baste with fat, if necessary. (Usually fat on possum is sufficient.) Surround by small sweet potatoes and bake until possum and potatoes are browned. Cooking time, from 1 to 2 hours at 350 degrees. Makes from six to eight servings.

I have always been told catch alive,work out with good food for 2 weeks then dutch oven with sweet potatoes and other desired vegetables.Meat is said to be greasy but quite good if prepared as directed.

graybeard,
I don't mean to make light of your question, but my thinking for a opposum recipe is kill it and
bury it.I had a bad experience with this critter and I
don't like them even a little bit.I've eat a lot
of things,coon,groundhog,
muskrat,snake even a bug or two.
I even have recipes for most....no opposum,no
way. To each his own.
One thing I have heard from folks that do eat them is make them young:barf::barf::barf:
snake-eyes:surrender:

I have no plans to eat one. :shake: I was asked for some possum recipes and figured this would be a good place to get them. thanks to everyone who helped. :hatsoff: graybeard

We don't have them here in the High Country. I didn't think that they were a seperate species of animal. I thought they were Norway Rats on steroides.
That recipe is a waste of good sweet taters. You could make a good sweet tater pie with a shot of good Tenn. sour mash added to the recipe. Now thats a lot better than a rat with with a super charger. :rotf:

Whack possum in head with axe handle. Bury possum and burn axe handle. :grin:

To each his own, but I will never be hungry enough to eat possum. They are just plain ugly, nasty lookin critters.

The carcass is fat. When roasted straight up, it is very greasy, but it has a very good flavor. The next one I cook will be over an open fire to see what happens when the grease can drip off. Somewhere I have a recipe for crow if your feeling really adventurous!

Runner,
Being a sort of collector of wild game cookbooks,
I to have some recipes for strange game. From
skunk to muskrats(which I actually enjoy).I will actually try about anything, but no oppossum.
snake-eyes:hmm:

you will eat a skunk but not a 'possum? :confused: a 'possum that has been fedding around an orchard or garden patch (cabbage, corn, turnips, etc.) is plenty good eating. I call it 'catfish on paws'! :blah:

I am not hungry today, so experimenting is a learning thing for me. We had a camp raider during deer season, so I set a trap. A young possum was caught and it's front legs broken. Time to eat a possum! A trapper living alone running a string of traps would not shoot a shot in months if possible. They ate the best pieces of the carcasses they trapped. I ate what was in the trap that day. Gotta tell ya, it is a very tasty meat. Slow roasted over a fire where the grease can drip and I suspect we are talking serious good eats.
Coon or Possum over an open fire is already on the menu for this fall. No one else in camp has offered to sample any possum, but I plan on trying to change that.
I may run a string of traps on foot this year around a friends lake. A week of what the Lord provides is something we all should take time to experience. I also am working on a portable solar oven so I can cook legally in the primitive access and camping areas where fire is not allowed, but over night primitive camping is. In such circumstances, I would be finding my dinner. After a week of crawdads and squirrel, a possum might be like a night out on the town!

Back