• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Possibles Bag and Powder Horn Proper Carry Position?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have several that are buckskin, need lining to hold up.

I suspect that buckskin was more valuable for other uses in the period.
Lots to consider here:
Yes, if you hunted/worked for a company then you would use as little as you can for hide/fur was money.

But a bag/pouch is a necessity and one does not take much hide to make - we tend to over kill today in size and amount of material required. You can build a rifle pouch from scraps after making a shirt, pants, breeches, or coat. I am making one now out of moose scraps from a pair of moccasins.

Then if you were a free-trapper then again you would not want to waste those scraps so small things like bags, pouches, thongs, handle wraps would be well served.

Wen I was browsing for designs, there are several from the period being described as made from a variety of hide: deer, bear, groundhog, even one said to be mountain lion (or was it bobcat?) with bits of fur stil intact.

While oak tanned does make the most perfect hide for such items, I doubt the Fur Trade folk had much themselves due to the months required to tan it, brain tanned can be done much quicker.

When hunting , I keep the stress off my 76 yr. old shoulders by reducing the weight hung over them. Only time I use a powder horn hung on the left side , is at the range , with a brass free flow valve on it , to fill a powder measure. Hunting ,, I have one of the ugliest small hand made powder horns affixed under the pouch flap out of the weather. Like from old times , each gun I have , is served by it's own pouch The pouch , and horn , can vary as to the situation. Back to the original question , larger horn on the left side , and pouch always on the right side. My preference.

In the old days hunters who moved through the woods often carried the bag so the powder horn fit in the curve of the elbow. Works quite well.

Latest posts

Back