• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Possible ramrod substitute?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepperbelly

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have had trouble figuring a way to clean the musket I have. It is .69 caliber and has a 44.75" barrel. The ramrod that came with it has threads on one end, but I bought this used and it had no accessories.
I did manage to scrounge parts of a few military cleaning kits and made a rod long enough to reach. I found a .45 caliber brass brush that I can fold 2 pillow tick patches on and wipe the bore with. It doesn't fit perfectly but it's better than nothing.

The idea I have to to get enough shotgun cleaning rods that I can piece together until it's long enough. Then I figure a 12 ga brush and mop should be able to clean the bore. The .69 is a 14ga, I think, so the 12ga should be a good fit.

It ain't pc, but how does that sound?

Jim

pepperbelly said:
I have had trouble figuring a way to clean the musket I have. It is .69 caliber and has a 44.75" barrel. The ramrod that came with it has threads on one end, but I bought this used and it had no accessories.
I did manage to scrounge parts of a few military cleaning kits and made a rod long enough to reach. I found a .45 caliber brass brush that I can fold 2 pillow tick patches on and wipe the bore with. It doesn't fit perfectly but it's better than nothing.

The idea I have to to get enough shotgun cleaning rods that I can piece together until it's long enough. Then I figure a 12 ga brush and mop should be able to clean the bore. The .69 is a 14ga, I think, so the 12ga should be a good fit.

Jim
You can also have a range rod made from stainless, brass, etc...I've have several one piece solid and/or tubular brass rods made to order at[url] www.octobercountry.com[/url], I have them D&T both ends 10/32", then I buy one of their 2" wooden balls that already has a 10/32" screw imbedded through it for the purpose of screwing onto the end of the rod...makes very strong, unbreakable range rods with no ends to pull loose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not just order a 48" cleaning rod from October Country or some other place? You could also make one out of a 48" wood dowel (7/16" or 1/2") and add a brass tip and handle. Don't forget to pin them if you make your own. Leon

I made 3 range rods just last night to be used as gifts and trade blanket items.ordered rod end from track and fit them,epoxied and pinned the ends, put nich handles on them and they will accept any 10/32 fitting you want to put on them.
made these specifically for a 28 1/2 and a 32 inch barrel, but I had to shorten some good 48 inch stock to do it, so the potential is there for you to do the same!

Stop trying to reinvent the wheel!

Just buy a good range rod and get it done right. Yes, if you have access to a good supplier, you can go and buy ramrod stock made of HICKORY, not Oak, Ash, Birch, Ramin, or some other substitute. Range rods are great investments, and the longer ones work find in shorter barreled guns, too. Make sure they come with a brass, or nylon muzzle protector.

ALWAYS wipe the muzzle protectors, AND the rod off after any trip down your barrel, to make sure no residue has gotten onto either of them. Wood, Aluminum, Brass, and even some stainless steels may actually carry, stuck in them, bits of silica from the residues. Its the silicas that act like sand paper and ruin the muzzle.

You don't want that on those nylon muzzle protectors, either. So, wipe the residue off the rod and protectors frequently. The cleaner they are, the longer they last, and do their jobs without any adverse effect on your gun's accuracy.

Regardless of the source of your ramrod, the ferrules, attached to the end of the RR, need to be pinned to the rod. Same for the handles. DO NOT rely on glue alone to hold these to the rod. I think of glue as something I use to hold the ferrule in place while I drill it for pins. :grin:

That 12 gauge bore brush will be too big for that 14 gauge barrel. Check with suppliers for a smaller sized brush that fits. To use a 12 gauge brush in a 14 gauge Rifled barrel, you need a T-handled Range Rod, so that you can be turning the brush with the rifling, and continue to turn it, so that the bristles lay back, so that you can draw the brush out. Otherwise it will get stuck, and you may have to shoot it out!

:blah: I bet the postal people just love to have a 48 inch long whippy rod to carryin their bag or car hehehe

pepperbelly said:

Jim

Jim you can get an adaptor to fit your rod from track of the wolf then use std 10x32 jags and brushes.
Bernie :thumbsup:
[url] http://www.trackofthewolf.com...leList.aspx?catID=6&subID=49&styleID=581[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Track of the Wolf (and other suppliers) have a full range of jags, bottom scrapers ( you do need to use a correct size bottom scraper) & brushes in all of the popular calibers. While at it, you can get 48" hickory rods from them as well. If you are in the military or have a surplus dealer nearby, get a .50 cal machine gun rod - it is in 10" or so lengths so assemble as many lengths as you need for a given barrel. These rods are too heavy for use as a loading or cleaning rod but make super pullers for the dreaded dry ball. (Guess how I know that :redface: )

pepperbelly said:

Jim

Probably too much info but here goes..
The 50 BMG rod is the best cheap rod, the unsectioned one, second best is the sectioned version.
Wooden rods, properly constructed, are good, perhaps even best for your application.
What you really should do is order 4 or 5 1/2" hickory rods. This is so you will likely get one good one. Pick the straightest grained one and epoxy and pin a 8x32 tip on one end and a 10x32 on the other. Or 2 of the same. Probably putting on one 10x32 then drilling and tapping the other to fit shotgun mops is best. This will allow you to screw a jag or extension in one end to use as a handle if you have to use extra force to pull something. Drill tip and rod together for a small nail just slightly larger than the drill, use 1/16", before glueing. Mix the glue, daub on rod and in the jag (putting a waxed screw or brush etc in the threaded hole so its not plugged) push on the rod end, drive in nail and let set. File/polish down the nail. Finished rod.
Best epoxy you get get easily is JB weld Quick. At Napa etc. Sets fast and is very tough.
Soak the rod with something like Thompsons Water seal after sanding and raising grain and perhaps staining if you like.
The wooden rod is good anywhere, re-enacting or just everyday shooting.

You don't need a $100 stainless steel, bearing handle rod to clean a musket.

Dan

paulvallandigham said:
Stop trying to reinvent the wheel!

Just buy a good range rod and get it done right. Yes, if you have access to a good supplier, you can go and buy ramrod stock made of HICKORY, not Oak, Ash, Birch, Ramin, or some other substitute.

I dont know if this is about prefrence or what....I am using a 1/2" oak rod with no brass tips as my ramrod. I chose a quality rod with no knots or odd grain.( I have the stock rod with the rifle if I need to add accessories for cleaning and such) You make a statement that Oak is not appropriate and am am wondering why? I have only rammed home 100 rounds or so with it and it is not showing any sign of wear. I keep it wiped clean. Are you suggesting that the rod is not a hard enough wood and might break or are there other reasons I should not use it?

The problem I have ran into is the thread size. The bore mops and brushes I have found locally aren't big enough. The largest caliber I can get is .54 caliber, and I need .69 caliber.
A shotgun brush and mop will work, but the threads are much larger than the rifle and pistol rods.
I can order the pieces I need- thanks for the tip about TOTW. I have looked at other sites and found they do not offer mops and brushes that big.
I may still run into a problem with thread size and/or pitch.
I have sent an email to Pedersoli asking what came with the musket. They haven't replied yet but I only sent it last night, so they need a little time. I don't want to buy or build another rod and buy mops and brushes, etc. if they sell them that will fit the steel ramrod that came on my musket. It will be a lot easier if all I can carry a couple of small pieces for a rod that is carried on the musket.

I am not reinventing the wheel. I am trying to find something to use temporarily until I determine the best permament solution. I can use a tow worm, but I want to ensure the bore is clean and taken care of.

Jim

Take the steel rod that came with the gun to any machine shop or auto repair shop, and they can tell you what the thread size is, standard or metric. If you check with the suppliers, and find someone selling your gun, a phone call to them will generally get you that information, too.

Some things you can't jerryrig. Others, you don't want to. Use 10-32 threaded jags on all your rods. You need the strength of the larger size rod. On shotgun rods, they have even bigger sized thread stock. You can get those measurments off the TOTW site, too.

Brownell's is another website you should become familiar with. They supply a lot of the gunsmithing gear and tools used in this country, although their prices are always higher than what you can pay locally IF you can find what you need locally. Everyone does a lot of " make do " when they first start out, but peace of mind comes only when you finally acquire the right sized jags, brushes, and tools for your gun.

If you are going to keep the gun, then buy the best equipment to go with it. You can generally get the cost of these tools back when and if you sell the gun. The same wisdom applies to acquiring extra parts, like main and frizzen springs, and a extra frizzen, or cock, top jaw, and extra cockscrew. Some will also add a new sear, and searspring.

Yes, I am familiar with Brownell's. I have a C&RFFL and get dealer prices from them, Midway, and several other distributers.
When possible I like to buy this kind of thing locally. I get surprised less often that way.
I can determine thread size and pitch, and whether it is metric or standard.

BTW, my musket isn't rifled. It's a smoothbore, like a shotgun.
I have no plans on jury-rigging anything. A shotgun rod and/or brushes etc. will work. When I mention problems with thread size and/or pitch I am referring to using shotgun brushes with a rifle rod. The thread size is not compatable and I don't want to use a thread adapter.

BTW, when I ask for opinions I want to hear as many as possible. I then sift through them to find what best fits my situation. Do not think you have the only answer or get mad if I don't take your advice.
The fact that I am new to muzzleloading has apparently led you to think I am either young or very ignorant. I am neither.
To be honest paul I don't like the tone of either your forum responses or the private message you sent. You may feel free to ignore me.

Jim

pepperbelly said:
"...To be honest paul I don't like the tone of either your forum responses or the private message you sent. You may feel free to ignore me..."
Jim

PB, you definitely have your head screwed on straight and its clear that you study, analyze, and make correct decisions in pursuit of your muzzleloading interests...

I have a Charleville .69 musket and have encountered the same problem. Take your ramrod into Lowe's, Home Depot, etc, and find a nut that fits. Mine was an M5 or 6 I think. Then, Track of the Wolf may have the adapter (Military Musket Ramrod Brass Adaptors) or you can have one machined.

I opted to go for a seperate range rod, so I stopped struggling with it.

Best of luck.

gus

Gus, did you buy yours new? If so, what did it come with?
I actually thought about using a couple of nuts and washers to "sandwich" a patch.
The military rod I assembled will do for now- barely. If I can't figure what to use on the ramrod I will replace the rod and use the appropriate jags, brushes, etc.

Jim

Jim, for swabbing, cleaning, and patch retrieval the clothes hanger worm on a 48" dowel is hard to beat. Easy and cheap to make and you can use it for most all your cleaning.

Rebel does that clean as well as a bore mop does?
In my TC Hawkens I have a cleaning jag that fits tightly enough with a cleaning patch that it really cleans the bore. I have brushes also but rarely need to use them. The tight patch works really well.
The tow with worm seems too much like the old slotted jags we all used back in the '60s. I stopped using those as soon as I saw my first spear-tipped jag.
Is cleaning a smoothbore barrel different than a rifled barrel?

Jim

Cleaning a smoothbore is a lot easier than a rifled bore. I plug the touch hole with a toothpick, fill the barrel with water, let sit for a bit, dump and repeat. It only takes a few patches after that and she's clean. I use a .62 cal jag on a steel cleaning rod (w/muzzle protector) and old t-shirts to clean my .75 Bess.

I think they are easier to clean, none of that pesky rifling to get in the way. If you get you some TOW and use it with a worm it cleans the bore as well or better than a bore mop. And you can use patches with the worm too. A piece of clothes hanger and a wood dowel is a pretty cheap investment to try out.

Latest posts

Back