• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Poor inleting of lock.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scout1

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have in bound a new rifle from a well known maker. Received some photos of it a couple of days ago and have been pouring over them. It appears from the photos that the inleting of the lock has alot of gaps most of the way around it. The stock is a super nice piece of wood that I paid extra for.
How much is too much of a gap? If after I have the rifle in hand and I just can't live with the inleting, do I have any options without losing the stock?
Thanks, Jim

I have in bound a new rifle from a well known maker. Received some photos of it a couple of days ago and have been pouring over them. It appears from the photos that the inleting of the lock has alot of gaps most of the way around it. The stock is a super nice piece of wood that I paid extra for.
How much is too much of a gap? If after I have the rifle in hand and I just can't live with the inleting, do I have any options without losing the stock?
Thanks, Jim
Hi Scout,
I am sorry to hear this. But before going further, does the lock have beveled edges that might cast shadows that look like gaps? I've seen photos where that illusion was the case. Anyway, assuming there are gaps, I hope you will make your displeasure known directly to the maker. There may be ways to fix those gaps but I cannot advise you without seeing the gun.

dave

20190906_165907.jpg

The above pic is an example of what I see from the photos that were sent to me. I zoomed in on it.
Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, I sure hope your right and I'm just seeing things. If that is an actual gap I can't imagine how that would pass inspection.

I would ask the builder for more close up pics of various areas.... including that one.

Might save you from shipping things back in the future.

Hi,
That looks like a Siler lock and the shadow is the bevel on the lock plate. The pictures below show you the bevel and how it may create shadows. I don't think you need have any worries.
xMrWOlv.jpg

dkxGiCr.jpg

DuYklbu.jpg

dave

Agreed. It's the lock bevel. Siler locks are wider at the bottom so there will appear to be a gap when really there isn't one.

You are buying trouble you don't as yet have, wait til you have it in hand. How many times have you watched some sporting event where the replay from every angle says definitively that 'A' is so, and then they show that one replay that belies all the others and in fact 'B' is the truth. Even if your worst fears are realized, there are remedies that would leave the gaps unseen and hard to find even after you saw them there. be patient and good luck.
Robby

Calm down, that's the bevel on the lockplate. ;)

I am sure the lock has a heavy bevel, but my concern is the crispness of the edge. Happens a lot when a tight fit is evident and lock is removed for finishing if not careful the edge will chip of the mortise.

Thanks guys, I'll know tomorrow as delivery is set for by end of day. I feel like a kid on Christmas eve.

Sorry guys I ment to get back to this yesterday but couldn't. Well first off, when UPS says "by end of day" they ment it. My rifle was the last package still on the truck. It didn't arrive until almost 6pm. Yesterday was spent doing a detailed inspection. All of my initial concerns were based on photo magic. The rifle is perfect ! No concerns whatsoever ! Now to make smoke, but that will have to wait until tomorrow. Damn chores getting in the way.

Sorry guys I ment to get back to this yesterday but couldn't. Well first off, when UPS says "by end of day" they ment it. My rifle was the last package still on the truck. It didn't arrive until almost 6pm. Yesterday was spent doing a detailed inspection. All of my initial concerns were based on photo magic. The rifle is perfect ! No concerns whatsoever ! Now to make smoke, but that will have to wait until tomorrow. Damn chores getting in the way.
Good to hear (read). Happy for you, but, we need pictures, just like another "publication," this just isn't the same without pictures.

Latest posts

Back