• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

POLL on Smoothbore Deer Hunting Distances

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WHAT is the farthest distance, those who hunt deer with smoothbore, will take that shot at the deer?

• More than 100 yards

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 100 Yards

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • between 100 and 75 yards

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • 75 yards

Votes: 4 4.5%
  • between 75 and 50 yards

Votes: 30 33.7%
  • 50 yards

Votes: 33 37.1%
  • between 50 yards and 25 yards

Votes: 17 19.1%
  • 25 yards

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Hey folks a previous thread got me to ask a poll question. My observations prior to this question are purely anecdotal, and after this, will still probably be the same but it'd be nice to ask.

OH I'M SORRY as the question didn't specify "With Round Ball, not buckshot"... Please reply only for a single projectile

Thanks

LD

I based my answer, 25 to 75 yards, on my personal skill level and vision,,,, not, the gun's capability. I don't see well enough to feel ethical shooting at game past 75 yards, and even then it would have to be a very open shot. I know the gun can do the job beyond that, but not in my hands anymore. And, I don't have confidence that I could see a stick large enough to deflect my ball, say, 50 yards away, when concentrating on a deer 75 yards away, and then focusing on my sights. This with my 20 gauge smooth rifle.

I would reduce my maximum range on a deer to 50 yards with my F.d.C. with no rear sight. Again, based on my ability (or lack there of), NOT on the gun's ability.

Of course based on my personal criteria for an ethical shot, I wouldn't gain much yardage with an open sighted muzzle loading rifle.

Years ago I hunted with a smooth bore and spent a great deal of time working up a consistently accurate load. I even made a tumbler so the balls, all weighed out, would have a surface that was very similar to one another, like that of a shallow dimpled golfball, I called random symmetry. Even so, occasionally there would be an unexplained flier that cast a cloud of doubt whenever I hunted with it, but by and large I could count on groups that were under three inches at eighty yards, my self imposed limit. My first year with it I took a nice nine point buck at, I would estimate, sixty to seventy yards and upon inspection found that I hit it exactly where I had aimed. I did put a rear sight on it, something that was not uncommon.
If I remember correctly my load was: .610 dimpled ball
.022" thick ticking
Mink oil lube
80 gr's FF
FFFF primer
I had concealed myself in a fence corner with some golden rod as I saw him coming down a gully. I had plenty of time and a good rest, which helped a lot.
Robby

You should also poll people on, "who would take a "hail Mary" shot.
I contend that most people have taken a hail Mary shot but wouldn't admit it.

Never shot one past 50 yards, never even been tempted.
My shots have all been less then 50 yards, many less then 25, a few less then 10. This fall 21.
A Hail Mary shot was probably taken a lot in the old days. a .62 ball almost anywhere on a torso would cripple a deer so it could be closed on for a second shot.
I eat what I kill and have no photos or trophies, and I feel a spiritual connection to hunting and the animals I shoot,..... but I won’t miss a meal if I don’t take a deer. I have no desire to take a Hail Mary

That is insulting and offensive. Maybe that is how you,
think and behave, but no need to project your shortcomings on others.

Oh great!, here we go again. somebody thinks a comment is directed at them personally and gets all offended . Look Brokennock, I said Most! That could be as little as 51%, so congratulations, you are in the 49%. I'll still stand by what I said based on experience.

I am a much more ethical hunter than I was when I was younger. I will ask you though since you felt the need to criticize, Have you ever missed a deer? if so, How do you reconcile the difference between a miss and a hail Mary ?

So finally, my comment was intended for Dave to keep his data set clean. Not to offend anyone.

So much depends on conditions, angle of deer, etc., etc.

But 60 yards would be angels trumpeting, cherubs throwing rose petals and a golden chalice appearing between the antlers of the buck. Or a nice, standing broadside - whichever comes first.

Interestingly, my average distance (usually sitting on the ground, sometimes still-hunting) is around 45 yards with a firearm, so it's not a big sacrifice to use a smoothbore. My maximum distance with a bow is 25 yards, but I do use a treestand for bowhunting. Though I also still hunt successfully. Recommended for all, because that makes a smoothbore flintlock seem MUCH easier.

But 60 yards would be angels trumpeting, cherubs throwing rose petals and a golden chalice appearing between the antlers of the buck. Or a nice, standing broadside - whichever comes first.

Interestingly, my average distance (usually sitting on the ground, sometimes still-hunting) is around 45 yards with a firearm, so it's not a big sacrifice to use a smoothbore. My maximum distance with a bow is 25 yards, but I do use a treestand for bowhunting. Though I also still hunt successfully. Recommended for all, because that makes a smoothbore flintlock seem MUCH easier.

I practice at 25 and 50 yards so that's where my comfort range is. When I hunt I position myself to have shots within those ranges.

Oh great!, here we go again. somebody thinks a comment is directed at them personally and gets all offended . Look Brokennock, I said Most! That could be as little as 51%, so congratulations, you are in the 49%. I'll still stand by what I said based on experience.

I am a much more ethical hunter than I was when I was younger. I will ask you though since you felt the need to criticize, Have you ever missed a deer? if so, How do you reconcile the difference between a miss and a hail Mary ?

So finally, my comment was intended for Dave to keep his data set clean. Not to offend anyone.

Put me in the 49% too, as I've never taken a Hail Mary shot at a deer. I have too much respect for them. My suspicion is that among this group of traditional muzzleloading hunters, the percentage of those taking unethical shots, is very low.

Of course you are welcomed to your own suspicion.

Mine is formed from being part of a group of traditional hunting friends. One reason we choose this lifestyle is a sense of fair play in the woods and fields, and the thrill and satisfaction of getting close to our quarry. I doubt my cyber buddies here on the forum are much different.

Absolutely concur with the "recalibration" effect of bowhunting. I missed probably a 12 or 14 yd. shot with my Cherokee "D" bow earlier this year and gazed longingly at several completely unaware deer between 20 and 25 yds. Makes my smoothie seem like a veritable long range weapon all of a sudden!

One thing to take into account regarding range, is that out west, deer are seen at longer ranges than in the bush. No, that doesn't mean stretching ranges past ethical limits, but it Does mean that some of us see more deer out of range than in.
Me too....Never taken a Texas heart shot.
In the survey, I said 50-75 yards max. First one with a matchlock I thought about 70 yards, (got him well enough) and he was actually about 85 yards. Hit where I was looking, but would have held off If I'd known how far off he was.

Ranger Boyd,
Recalibration;
I recall finding a dead fresh killed deer on the side of one of our fields. Cougar kill.
Wondered where the cat went, so tracked him through some reed canary grass and willows along the stream.
Only thing I had in the truck was a Zulu Iklwa spear, so that's what I took. It felt really important to me at the time!

Put me in the 49% too, as I've never taken a Hail Mary shot at a deer. I have too much respect for them. My suspicion is that among this group of traditional muzzleloading hunters, the percentage of those taking unethical shots, is very low.

Of course you are welcomed to your own suspicion.

Mine is formed from being part of a group of traditional hunting friends. One reason we choose this lifestyle is a sense of fair play in the woods and fields, and the thrill and satisfaction of getting close to our quarry. I doubt my cyber buddies here on the forum are much different.

Hi Chief,
I suspect my experience is more diverse than those before me, and that certainly shapes my opinion. It is nice to know that I now find myself among the cream and not the whey.

I would think some one who picks up a ml at wal mart in order to give him self an extra season, or he picks up a compound bow for the same reason might push his range beyond normal. A person who goes traditional and is dedicated to the sport ml or archery or single shot rifle is going to be more careful on range. The step beyond in to flintlock smoothies, or traditional bow, wheel or matchlocks, won’t go beyond the range he knows and has practiced in.
I’m a nerd playing in the past and make up crazy rules and then do my best to follow them.

All the deer I have ever harvested were within archery range. With my eye sight to be certain to shoot a deer that meets our state antler restrictions it must be less than 50 yards away. Even though I regularly hit deer heart sized targets on our clubs woods walk. Farther than 50 yds. As a Hunter Ed instructor I’m just really fussy about the shots I take hunting. BJH

Back