• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Polishing the Pan

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
40 Flint said:
Dawg, ya gotta remember most of these fellers think 80% is low humidity. They ain't used to shootin' in our climate where it is 20% in the AM and gets dryer.
TC

Good point. I didn't give that much thought.

HD

Well I tried the toothpaste.....didn't really polish it up. Maybe I was using the wrong brand or some thing. But the polishing compound that came with my dremel did the job. Anyone have a certain brand that they have used with good success?(toothpaste) Just wondering. Oh yeah fellas.....I am back in the states now!!!! :hatsoff:

WELCOME BACK! :hatsoff: and Thank You!!! as fer toothpaste brand,,, :hmm: maybe some of that dollar store off brand stuff.......that'll put a polish on anything! :haha:

I have used "Pearl Drops" toothpaste for polishing before. I would not use it for an initial polish, simply because its too fine for that. There are coarser lapping compounds, rouges, pumice, rottenstone, etc. that can be used that will do the initial work better.

Toothpaste is for pans( an other surfaces) that already have been polished fairly well, That need to be polished again. I have also used it for lapping barrels to clean them up. Its too fine to use on a badly cut barrel, or on a barrel with serious rust problems.

Rottenstone is sold in paint stores, and is used to polish wood finishes, like varnish. Various grades of pumice are available as lapping compounds. Check auto supply stores. You have already found the compound sold by "Dremel". And, you can check Brownell's Catalog, as well as other suppliers here for other lapping and polishing compounds aimed at the gun market.

I find that most of the stuff marketed to home gunsmiths is in small containers, and is rather expensive. If you hunt the auto supply, paint, and good hardware stores, you can find the same thing in larger quantity for a fraction of the cost.

Don't hesitate to use very fine grinders, and emery cloth, through the grades from medium to very fine, and then crocus cloth and any other fine polishing abrasive you can find before you get down to the rouges and abrasive pastes. You may have to search the internet for a supply of some of the very fine abrasives, but they are out there.

If you have a glass shop in town, either the one that replace ordinary windows or car window, or someone who is making decorative glass art, talk to them about a source of fine abrasive they use on glass.

The same with Eye Glass stores. They have the lens for your glasses Made for them in centralized workshops, and all of those workshops have very fine lens polishing compounds. All these compounds will also cut soft steel, and polish steel to a mirror finish.

The big thing about all this is to take your time. If you think the pan is smoother, and your thumb or finger muscles are getting tire- stop! Let it go. Shoot the gun, see how it works. Then polish it some more the next time you clean the gun.

Toothpaste can be used after you have the pan polished to keep the oxides off from time to time. That "patina" that seems to grow on steels is actually minute rust pitting of the surface, and that is what we are trying to avoid when we polish the pan. Its those tiny pits that hold on to powder residue, that then absorb water from the air to foul the priming powder in humid and wet conditions. Just keep the goal in mind, and you won't go wrong.

Hey! Welcome home, and thank you so much for your service to our Country! I know it must seem like Americans outside those who have immediate family members in the services Don't Care, or are too busy worrying about football games, and other silliness here back home, But ITS NOT TRUE. Millions of Americans are extremely Proud of the work our Military has been doing in Iraq and Afghanistan, to stabilize those countries, and help keep America safer. We just are so rarely given the opportunity to show it in any way that will be reported by the very hostile MSM.

you can buy MIBRO CLEANING/POLISHING COMPOUND at lowes.

it is in a stick form.comes in 4 grades from coarse/high gloss.

you put it on your dremel tool pad, or your table grinder with a 6 inch FIRM buffing pad.

i also use it inside my rifle bores with a very tight patch to shine things up.

i use HIGH GLOSS one,under 5 dollars and stick of this will last you forever.

it is only thing i found to remove the swirls that BRASSO puts in your brass .

it shines like no end,best i have used.

its found in the table saw area of lowes with buffing pads.

Well folks got to get out to the range today and gave it the official test. Ignition time on her is just like on a modern rifle. Clean up was easier, especially with the high humidity we had here today. Temps were about 70 to 75. Thanks to all the wisdom folks!!!! :hatsoff:

Hogdon used to make Spit Ball and Spit Patch. Found I could put a light coat of Spit Ball around the ignition area, lock, barrel and stock to make clean up a lot easier. Kinda like a coat of PAM on a skillet.

TC

Back