• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PNW muzzleloading gunsmiths

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texican65

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anybody knows of qualified luthiers or gunsmiths who are reputable and knowledgeable working with Damascus barrels specifically in this region? I live 30 miles outside of Seattle and have a blackpowder shotgun with twist barrels that I need to have inspected…I don’t want to just take it to any old joe down the street.

Thanks very much,

Dow

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anybody knows of qualified luthiers or gunsmiths who are reputable and knowledgeable working with Damascus barrels specifically in this region? I live 30 miles outside of Seattle and have a blackpowder shotgun with twist barrels that I need to have inspected…I don’t want to just take it to any old joe down the street.

Thanks very much,

Dow
Drop a lighted arrow nock down the barrel and take a look, better yet buy a $50.00 bore scope off Amazon and give it a look.

Hold the gun by the wrist with one hand and tap the barrels with a rawhide mallet or similar, if the barrels ring similar to a bell the barrels are still held together well, if there is a dull thud the barrels are coming apart.

If all looks good, go shoot it, we don't need no stinking gunsmith!

Hi guys,

Thanks very much,

Dow
The luthiers that I know of make guitars and violins and do not deal with Damascus shotgun barrels. Although tapping the barrel to listen to the ring tone is a good first step, one would want to take good look at the internal bore for pitting.

Drop a lighted arrow nock down the barrel and take a look, better yet buy a $50.00 bore scope off Amazon and give it a look.

Hold the gun by the wrist with one hand and tap the barrels with a rawhide mallet or similar, if the barrels ring similar to a bell the barrels are still held together well, if there is a dull thud the barrels are coming apart.

If all looks good, go shoot it, we don't need no stinking gunsmith!
Thank you. I performed the “ring” test recently and both barrels ring like a bell.

However, taking a look inside with a light, the interiors are not mirrored and clean, but dingy/rusty with pitting in several places. I’m not trained enough to know whether this is ok or not…would rather an experienced person give her a once over.

Dow

Thank you. I performed the “ring” test recently and both barrels ring like a bell.

However, taking a look inside with a light, the interiors are not mirrored and clean, but dingy/rusty with pitting in several places. I’m not trained enough to know whether this is ok or not…would rather an experienced person give her a once over.

Dow
Dingy and minor pits do not mean a thing, I shoot my William Moore that looks that way and it shoots fine.

People worry way to much about damascus barrels.

EDIT
Let me add that taking it to a modern gunsmith is a mistake in my book, they know nothing about damascus barrels and quite a few of them are scared of them.

Last edited:
Dingy and minor pits do not mean a thing, I shoot my William Moore that looks that way and it shoots fine.

People worry way to much about damascus barrels.
Interesting…well I appreciate the information. Im not worried about the Damascus, just trying to learn and stay informed. I’ve dabbled in BP over the last 25 years…but never really dedicated any time to the hobby, but I am ready to now.

I know how to shoot my BP rifle…but not so much this shotgun. Is there a tutorial you can recommend? What’s the recommended beginner load for this old twist gun, what kind of BP and how much? What kind of shot/how much? What kind of wads? That’s the kind of stuff I need to know.

Thanks!

Dow

Interesting…well I appreciate the information. Im not worried about the Damascus, just trying to learn and stay informed. I’ve dabbled in BP over the last 25 years…but never really dedicated any time to the hobby, but I am ready to now.

I know how to shoot my BP rifle…but not so much this shotgun. Is there a tutorial you can recommend? What’s the recommended beginner load for this old twist gun, what kind of BP and how much? What kind of shot/how much? What kind of wads? That’s the kind of stuff I need to know.

Thanks!

Dow
The size of powder granules depends mostly on the bore size but before we get into that have you I mounted the barrels and looked at the proof marks? In the period, many gun makers around the world were importing barrels from Belgium.

Thanks!

Dow
before you get to loads etc, there are a few more checks that need to be done. The barrel wall thickness needs to be measured to ensure basic uniformity. While it is a good sign that no one has polished the bores bright it is still no guarantee that there is enough meat left mid barrel.
While you have the barrels I mounted to check the wall thickness, take a couple of detailed photos on the proof marks. They should be located on the bottom of each barrel near the breech. They will tell a fascinating story. The NRA maintains a database of proof marks.

So you need to know the bore size and if it is choke bored. In addition to powder and shot, you will need a cushion wad between the powder and shot and then an over shot card to keep everything seated in place.
If for instance, the bore measures to be a 12 bore, you want to buy 12 gauge natural cork cushion wads. The overshot card should be the next bore size bigger than the measurement, so a 12 bore shotgun would use an 11 or 10 bore overshot card.
10, 12 and 16 bores use 2F powder. You want to use chilled lead shot. Not magnum lead shot. The magnum shot is harder to resist pellet deformation.
Start off with a square load which is equal parts by volume of shot and powder. I would start with a light 3/4 ounce load of shot initially and go up from there for anything 20 bore and bigger.
You looking to find a load that delivers consistent patterns without any holes in them. Too much powder for instance will blow a hole in the center of the shot pattern.
Good luck and have fun with it.

There's a gunsmith at Marksman in Puyallup. It's one of the best "unmentionable" shops in our region so they might be able to help. I'd take to Bill at Muzzleloader Supply on River Road in Puyallup first, though. I was in there yesterday to buy some percussion caps. He has some very nice BP rifles, muskets and shotguns in his inventory at the moment. He also has Schuetzen in stock if you need powder.

The size of powder granules depends mostly on the bore size but before we get into that have you I mounted the barrels and looked at the proof marks? In the period, many gun makers around the world were importing barrels from Belgium.

before you get to loads etc, there are a few more checks that need to be done. The barrel wall thickness needs to be measured to ensure basic uniformity. While it is a good sign that no one has polished the bores bright it is still no guarantee that there is enough meat left mid barrel.
While you have the barrels I mounted to check the wall thickness, take a couple of detailed photos on the proof marks. They should be located on the bottom of each barrel near the breech. They will tell a fascinating story. The NRA maintains a database of proof marks.

So you need to know the bore size and if it is choke bored. In addition to powder and shot, you will need a cushion wad between the powder and shot and then an over shot card to keep everything seated in place.
If for instance, the bore measures to be a 12 bore, you want to buy 12 gauge natural cork cushion wads. The overshot card should be the next bore size bigger than the measurement, so a 12 bore shotgun would use an 11 or 10 bore overshot card.
10, 12 and 16 bores use 2F powder. You want to use chilled lead shot. Not magnum lead shot. The magnum shot is harder to resist pellet deformation.
Start off with a square load which is equal parts by volume of shot and powder. I would start with a light 3/4 ounce load of shot initially and go up from there for anything 20 bore and bigger.
You looking to find a load that delivers consistent patterns without any holes in them. Too much powder for instance will blow a hole in the center of the shot pattern.
Good luck and have fun with it.
Hi there…

Thanks very much for the detailed information…it’s just what I was after. I also should have posted photos…although I did in another thread. Have included a couple now…showing the proof markings. They appear to be mid century Birmingham, another member has told me. That being the case, does that mean the barrels were made in England? Or only proofed there? I’m not entirely sure how that worked.

It’s a 12 gauge, although I’m not sure if the barrels are choked…I don’t think so, but not certain.

I called and talked to the man at the Puyallup muzzleloading store…I will bring this old girl in and have his guy take a look, and I will also stick up in some things I need.

Thanks again for the advice, it is much appreciated.

Dow

Attachments

• IMG_1956.jpeg
    IMG_1956.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1958.jpeg
    IMG_1958.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1945.jpeg
    IMG_1945.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1959.jpeg
    IMG_1959.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1954.jpeg
    IMG_1954.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Well..I took her in to the Puyallup Muzzleloading supply today and had Bill give her a once over.

He said that although there is some pitting in the bore, it shouldn’t be anything I can’t clean up. He said that this gun hasn’t been shot very much, and that there is a lot of metal left in the walls of the barrels and not to worry about it being twist barrels.

He recommended I start out with some 1F powder, about 50 grains…and have an equal amount of shot to go along with it. I’d only be using this for quail, grouse…maybe Turkey…and he said that at about 40 yards that’s all I’d need with this gun. I bought all the supplies I needed, except for shot…he was out.

Now on to do some reading in the Black Powder shooters Bible.

Dow

Latest posts

Back