• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Playing with Maxi balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maxi balls are really accurate in my 50 TC hawken. The problem is that they tend to kill on both ends with that curved metal butt plate.

I shoot the 370gr .50 Maxi in my GPH. Very accurate with 90gr Pyro P. Recoil is manageable for sighting in and unnoticed when hunting. I don’t shoot it for fun however. Lol
Walk

I did notice that the Maxi seemed to hold it's accuracy better at 100 yds. than the PRB did. Has anyone else experienced this?
its the shallow rifling and 1-48” twist in the TC’s. theyre made for the proprietary TC maxi ball or maxi hunter.

still, roundballs work great in mine as long as i dont push em too hard. i usually go with a 50 g 3f charge for target shooting with my .50 and .54.

So I finally got around to melting some lead and making some maxi-balls. I recently acquired a .36 TC Seneca and a .32 TC Cherokee. The .32 maxis are almost toy-like. I used a TC mold for the .32s and the top band is .324 I used a Lyman mold for the .36s and the top band is .363. The one on the left is a .45 just for reference.
20200506_175642.jpg

The leftmost looks like the edgesof the bands are rounded.

Better would be sharp edges. Most decisive, the base must be perfect. Ever dent in the base may result in a flyer.

The edges are a bit worn on that one. It's a .45 that came with a TC Hawken I acquired in a trade for an unmentionable. Its been around since 1980-81 according to the original owner. I just put it in the pic to show the size difference in the .36 and .32. I had sharper edges and was less rounded then too. Sigh....

Back