• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

platinum lined vents

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty high dollar back in the day.
In terms of usefulness I wonder if it would be better then modren alloys, besides the wow factor, would it ba an advantage.

They are still in production today for percussion long range guns. The nipples are lined with platinum to reduce erosion. Otherwise, you get about ten shots with a 500gr bullet, and you'll need a new nipple.
Is it because of the charge, or relation between caliber and bullet size? A had a Zouave and shot that 460 grain minnie without ever an issue. But I could see a small caliber and heavy bullet, maybe a paper patch, having a lot more pressure and that effecting it.

Weight of the bullet. Competition nipples have really small holes. They have to stay small in order to maintain consistent accuracy. Musket nipple holes are huge in comparison.

I do know I have seen a number of old guns with the platinum lining and they (the vents and nipples) still look fairly decent when compared to those guns with out it.
Time has told the tale.

My original Pritchett Volunteer rifle has a platinum-lined nipple. It was made in 1858. And I shoot it.

I also have one in my Parker-Hale Whitworth rifle - shooting a 535gr bullet ahead of 80gr of powder can to wear out a conventional nipple in ten or twelve shots, as I found out when the hammer blew back on me.

Here in UK we usually have no cheap access to platinum, in spite of Mr Rudall having one made for £40. Mine cost over a hundred.

As for the 'why' it works, platinum has a much higher melting point and resistance to hear erosion that any other baser metal. Ask yourself why they use platinum on spark plugs, and not phosphor-bronze or beryllium.

Precious metal prices are pretty much standard worldwide, are they not?

I have no idea, not dealing in any form of precious commodities. All I know is that my bronze-age-style bracelet cost me £275 in silver, and over £3000 in platinum. Guess which I chose?

I'm wondering how nipples are platinum lined as the melting point of Platinum is over five hundred degrees higher than the tool/stainless steel of nipples so I doubt it a plating operation. My guess is it must be a swaging operation of a platinum pellet sort of like riveting. Any one know how this is actually done ?

Plating is done with electrolysis and really scary chemicals. The metal is not melted.

Back