• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"plastic" short starter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeboleo1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Recently saw a TV show on the Alvin York Chunk Gun shoot in TN. In the filming it showed a gentleman loadiing with a short starter that appeared to be made of a clear/white hard plastic material. It was pretty much straight like a dowel from what I could tell. Didn't show much of it but looked like a good idea. He tapped it down with a wooden mallet. Anyone seen or made something similar?

I Think the short starter you saw was made from either Nylon or Delrin. The latter material is better as it doesn't swell when wet. Although it may have looked like a straight rod, I think on closer examination you'll find that it has a short cupped projection that pushes the ball/patch combination slightly into the barrel just enough to allow cutting the patch at the muzzle. If you decide to build one you can usually get the material in one inch or less diameter sections from plastic suppliers. Either is very easy to machine with a lathe.

Max,
You are probably right on the starter I saw on TV. Thanks for the info, I will check out the material to make one up.

Back