• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Plastic Nipple Cap Covers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with these?

cap 1.jpg
cap 2.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-BlackP...DefaultOrganic&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Last edited:
Don't think so. The product description claims that these make the cap easier to hold and reduce the possibility of chain-fires.

I bought a package many years ago with the intention of trying them on a Colt but never have. The idea was to hold the cap together and on the nipple instead of shattering and falling into the action. I have some Colts that are modified and don't need any help but I thought they might be handy if I were to try an unmodified gun. I wouldn't want to get in the habit of using them, one more thing to add to the loading procedure and spend money on. I have never had any problems with caps jamming the gun on a Remington, Rogers & Spencer or a Spiller & Burr.

Last edited:
My reservation with this idea is that I'm concerned that the extra thickness of the plastic over the top of the cap will prevent the cylinder from rotating. As it stands now, some of the caps extend out pretty far and there's not much room left.

Aquarium tube works fine and is very inexpensive. It will keep caps from fragmenting and throwing off little sharp pieces and also makes the caps easier to handle. I'm not so sure about waterproofing and if you use a capper it won't work with these.

I’d try them. Day may come a cap and ball revolver is all we are allowed to have!

I got some used tire valve stems and cut the metal part off, using the rubber to ‘cap’ or ‘cushion the nipple. Let’s you ‘dry fire’ your BP piece without harm to the nipple. Used tire valves are free at the local tire replacement shops.

Install a cap rake (as per Larson E. Pettifogger) along with Slixshot nipples and kiss cap jams good by.
Use the old OEM trash nipples for dry firing.
Respectfully
Bunk

"just one more thing to fiddle with & spend $ on that you don't need."

Ditto, ditto.

Need some swamp land, can over night it to you.

Install a cap rake (as per Larson E. Pettifogger) along with Slixshot nipples and kiss cap jams good by.
Use the old OEM trash nipples for dry firing.
Respectfully
Bunk
it seams like a pain in the a$$ to swap nipples' out every time that you want to dryfire? why not just put a cap on them?, Shure is a whole lot easier & saves a lot time of swapping them out. JMHO.

I tried this idea with mixed results. First, the "aquarium" tubing seemed too small to accept the caps. Then I tried two kinds of commercial plastic caps, blue and black. It wasn't too difficult to push the caps into either type using the plastic tool provided.

I used these to cap OEM nipples on a Uberti 1861 Navy Colt using CCI caps. The blue types seemed to be a little bigger than the black type and tended to bind the cylinder when it was rotated.

I had no problems firing the gun. Sometimes the plastic cap cover remained intact, sometimes it did not. Sometimes it stayed on the nipple, sometimes it did not. I tried removing the spent cap from the plastic sleeve and found that difficult to do and gave up on the idea of reusing the plastic caps. I used both #10 and #11 caps since the OEM nipples seem finicky on which fits best.

I've ordered some Slixshot replacement nipples and Remington #10 caps and will see if that has better results.

RBP, I use them if I’m going out in the woods, especially if it is going to be damp or raining. Mine are from CVA and are red. I never experienced any problems with them, either on a single shot or revolver. Maybe I’ve been lucky or maybe the CVA brand is somewhat different.

I profess that I know nothing about nothing when it comes to plastic nipple coverings for revolver’s?

With my confession in mind, thought maybe I’d throw this idea out there.

Mother Inlaw gives me her old nebulizer tubing for dry firing my long guns. The nebulizer tubing is just a hair larger in diameter than fish aquarium tubing. Fits nice and snug over my nipple cones.

Thought I’d throw that out there?

Respectfully, Cowboy

I have a buddy that bought some of the blue ones and he gave me some to try on my 51 Navy, my opinion is junk! Like someone else in the forum said " one more thing to fiddle with"! They would make the cylinder hard to rotate and when the shooting is done the caps stayed on....really on! I had to use a blade to get them off the nipples.

Latest posts

Back