• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pistol Rust Issue

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 27715

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Before I do something stupid I thought it better to come ask here first. I'm taking my flintlock pistol-1716/77 British Sea Service replica to the gunsmith to have the lock and trigger lightened up. I'm having issues though with cleaning that I don't have with my Tulle. Can't seem to get all the powder residue off so it's got spots of surface rust on the frizzen and side of the barrel. I'm considering having the gunsmith brown the barrel and lock. I don't think that's entirely hc/pc for the type of pistol though. :idunno:

So, other options? Further education on the cleaning matter?

I'll try to get a couple good photos of the problem areas and post here.

Thank you,
Greg

You are correct. Most martial pistols were polished and left white, however that type of finish will weather over time and gradually become brown. You might want to try coating with phosphoric acid, sold as a rust remover. This will remove any accumulated rust and leave a gray finish that is somewhat (at least more than just bare metal) rust resistant.

I have several guns with barrels that were left in the white. After a number of years of use the barrels are now a nice steel gray that is impossible to fake. The steel gray is a combination of hand oil, rust and powder marks that have been wiped clean with a rag and then oiled. Occasionally I will use a light wipe with steel wool to get any red rust off before I oil it. The nice thing about this finish is that it can't be spoiled.

I called the gunsmith and he said to run an arbor in the bore and scrub the outside of the barrel and lock with a wire brush, then follow with metal polish and oil/bore butter. Will a metal polish damage the finish of the stock and is a wire brush really the best option?

I only have rust streaks in the bore and in the pan at the moment. Everything else is speckled with powder residue.

A regular wire brush will usually leave scratches in the soft steel that is typically used for muzzleloaders. If you must use a brush, get one with brass bristles. Also do not use any power equipment for any type of polishing or you will end up with a wavy looking finish.

In the field soldiers had dirt to polish with to keep things bright and their officers happy.
:hatsoff:

Muzzle loading guns are very different from their modern cartridge counterparts in more ways than is readily apparent. It is not possible to shoot a muzzle loader a lot and keep it looking brand new. Not only that, it is not even desirable to do so. They look more authentic and better if they have a patina, like has previously been said is impossible to fake. Visible rust is best avoided of course, but gray mottling on the steel is a good thing. Keep away from wire brushes unless you have a very soft carding brush such as Brownell's sells. (I must keep mine hidden so my wife does not clean the grill with it.) Unless the gun just came out of the box, brightly polished brass is a sure sign of a new shooter.

Back