• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pistol rifling

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George91946

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello. I greatly value your expertise and opinions. My question is what range of rifling would you expect in a pistol barrel?

Years ago, I purchased a rifled 0.5 cal pistol barrel from a track of the wolf close out sale. Cost me $20.00 or so. Had it sitting around, and finally got time to use it for building a left handed flintlock. Bought a lock, breech plug and some furniture from Track, and a block of maple from the lumber yard, and whittled a pistol. Came out ok, and I tried out some rudimentary carving so it looks unique. I've been learning to use it, but accuracy is not as good as I'd hoped yet. I measured rifling at 1/4 revolution over an 8.5 inch distance, which equates to approximately 1:35. Is this an appropriate rifling ratio for a pistol? I'm shooting 20 grains 0.490 cal patched round ball, 3F goex, and 0.020 mm Patch. Bore is bright, and no pits or obstructions. Inletting is tight, and I also acraglassed the bed before final construction. Gun feels robust and solid. Typical problems with L & R lock, but mostly fires ok and is fast.

Thanks

Lisle George

1:35 seems slow for a .50 pistol. Believe they usually run around 1:20 for that caliber.

I'm shooting .44's with 1:18 and using 20 gr FFFg. You might try bumping your charge up. A little more velocity might help with the slower twist rate.

George91946 said:
Hello. I greatly value your expertise and opinions. My question is what range of rifling would you expect in a pistol barrel?

Years ago, I purchased a rifled 0.5 cal pistol barrel from a track of the wolf close out sale. Cost me $20.00 or so. Had it sitting around, and finally got time to use it for building a left handed flintlock. Bought a lock, breech plug and some furniture from Track, and a block of maple from the lumber yard, and whittled a pistol. Came out ok, and I tried out some rudimentary carving so it looks unique. I've been learning to use it, but accuracy is not as good as I'd hoped yet. I measured rifling at 1/4 revolution over an 8.5 inch distance, which equates to approximately 1:35. Is this an appropriate rifling ratio for a pistol? I'm shooting 20 grains 0.490 cal patched round ball, 3F goex, and 0.020 mm Patch. Bore is bright, and no pits or obstructions. Inletting is tight, and I also acraglassed the bed before final construction. Gun feels robust and solid. Typical problems with L & R lock, but mostly fires ok and is fast.

Thanks

Lisle George

66 and 70" twist barrels will shoot under 2" or so for 5 shots at 25 yards when trimmed to even 6" and used in pistols. The longer barreled versions will be surprisingly accurate to 100 yards or so.
If the barrel is a GM it should be a 20"twist, which I think is too fast for a RB gun. But there are other pistol barrel makers and I an not familiar with all the twists used.

Dan

I did not properly read the original post and missed the powder charge being used. I am shooting 45 grains from a 54 right now and was shooting 55 from a 58 I built for a friend. I used to shoot 60 from a 66 twist 54 pistol. At 50 grains and over a 50-58 pistol is fully capable of killing deer and will approach 44 mag muzzle velocities.
20 grains is so light as to be marginally dangerous. I once shot either 15 or 20 from a 58 smooth bore English "overcoat pistol" I shot at a block of pine and the ball bounced back and whacked me on the shin very much like hitting it a lick with a hammer. I would not use less than 30 in a 50 if I wanted it to be useful. Very often RB guns, either smooth or rifled don't like light loads of powder.

Dan

Thanks
Range opens again tomorrow. I'll bump up the powder load to 30 grains and retry. I have trouble holding pistols with heavy recoil so I went with the lighter load initially.

Back