• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pistol loading stand

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfisher

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm wanting to make a loading stand for a Traditions William Parker pistol and was wanting to to see pics of stands you all have built for some ideas. Thanks.

Repurposed a wooden flowerpot (or something like that) carrier. Took it apart, moved pieces around, and added some components.
M0gDmV.jpg

KdpSdU.jpg

fDyy2z.jpg

It would have taken more time to start from scratch, but still would have been easy.
Ron

I'd be careful when using a loading stand. It allows you to apply a lot of force, on to the grip area of the stock, which might result in cracking the wood.

There is an on-going debate as to why a lot of TC Patriot pistols, wound up with cracked stocks. One is shooting heavy loads, and the other is applying too much force to the stock, in a loading stand.

I use a stand, but on a tight load, I prefer to place the rod against something solid, and push the pistol into the rod, where the force can be spread out over the stock.

Agreed about the breakage and stress.

On the stand I built, there is dense foam under the carpet piece on the right. It is cut so that it forces the end of the grip forward rather than having all the stress pressing down.
Ron

RonRC said:
On the stand I built, there is dense foam under the carpet piece on the right. It is cut so that it forces the end of the grip forward rather than having all the stress pressing down.
Oh my goodness! Foam and carpet?

Seriously? How did Bill Hickok ever load his pistols without a "LOADING STAND"?

That is easy to answer, he did not have to sanctioned shoots and follow the rules.

when shooting competition at our range you just about have to have a stand so the barrel can be pointed up and considered safe. But i agree that one must be careful not to force a crack in the stock when loading but I'm thinking that's where a well designed custom stand comes into play.

Agree.

I spent a month or more designing pistol stands for line pistols. Thus far no damage. I have spent a lot of time at Friendship and Phoenix taking pictures of loading stands to find the better ones.

One thing I learned from on one of the English shooters was not to seat the ball while the pistol is in the stand. He broke an original pistol while doing so, seat the ball while holding the pistol in your left hand.

One thing I learned from on one of the English shooters was not to seat the ball while the pistol is in the stand. He broke an original pistol while doing so, seat the ball while holding the pistol in your left hand.

Point well taken... I will keep this in mind, Thanks.

[/quote]

Passing along a lesson learned in Friendship.

One of the nice things about Friendship is they shut down on the pistol line for lunch, they have lunch and a person can learn a lot while listening to the old guys while eating.

Back