• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pistol Cartridges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FearNot

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I got to thinkin' on the way to work today.... is there any record of rolled cartridges being used in smooth bore pistols, like there were for long guns?

Just wonderin'

English & French infantry officers and artillery crews carried pistols in what amounted to cavalry holsters on shoulder straps while carrying paper cartridges in belly pouches or side pouches.

I will not dare give an opinion about
the English ways , but in the French army

- About 1755 , the French infantry officers
are required to get a " fusil " from the king's store .
the pistols they may have is their own property .

- Artillery crew do not use pistols .

- There is a shoulder strap , called a " baudrier "
wich is used by cavalry to carry a carbine .
If a different strap existed to carry pistol holsters
it would be interesting to know the date it was given
to the troops, the size , color , price and maker of
such equipment , or at least see a good picture of it.

- There were no French cavalry units in the F&I war .
A horsemen corp was created in 1759 in Qu

Back