• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pirate Fashions Box Opening -- Two-For-One

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grits, grits, GRITS!

I honestly believe(d) they are good people and know they can do better -- I mean, they have, and Helen Keller could. I have the gunsmith's personal phone number. We've spoken a fair amount over the past year and a half. I was truly surprised by their results and the saddest part is it was intentional -- they know just how awful their work was that they pushed out the door. And if they weren't ashamed and embarrassed then, well...

I called late this afternoon to ask them to respond to my e-Mail to them. Seems they WEREN'T closed for Martin Luther King, Jr., Day so it's been a couple now without reply...

Alden...

Quite frankly I would ask for my money back. You paid what would be a reasonable to even low price for a piece of quality workmanship and what you got could have been cobbled together in a HS industrial arts class by 16 year olds! The more I look at the photos of your gun the more amateurish it appears. With the crude workmanship and lack of attention to detail, do you really want to trust them to proof the barrel? I wouldn't. I note on the previously-mentioned wheel lock rifle that they say the barrel has hand cut "game twist" rifling. Is that a typo or do they really thing it is "game" rather than "gain" twist? I am not sure this guy has a clue about what he is doing. The competent gun makers I know spend a lot of time studying originals before they even begin working in the craft and it looks like this guy makes it up as he goes along. Hunting season creates a shortage of octagonal barrels? Really?

A request for a cash refund immediately would be my plan had I bought that gun. Best of luck getting it.

I've confirmed with the shop that they are both being returned for a refund next week.

Good...glad to hear it. I hope you can find a couple of guns somewhere else which are of the quality you want and deserve.

Alden:

I've confirmed with the shop that they are both being returned for a refund next week.

That's great to hear! At least you're not stuck with junk. :thumbsup:

It seems to me now that it would be easier to buy a nice Handgonne than it would be to buy a nice Matchlock. :(

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

Glad to hear that :thumbsup:

One nice thing to come out of it , they have certainly set the low end standard for quality :grin:

You are right in character... This is the respnse I got after a coupla e-Mails and a phone call describing the issue, disatisfaction, and asking about next steps on the completely unacceptable (non-functioning) gun:

Ahoy Matie,

We did get yar e-mail, but we have been supper busy with the Gasparilla parade this weekend. We will be happy to repair or refund yar order, what ever you want.

Tiger...

Couldn't have been nicer or more customer-centric... after-the-fact. I don't think they realize the effort they must go through to make these salable if not safe, but, better their headache than my being keelhauled by some Tampa buccaneers. I responded I was taking him up on the offer and returning both guns next week. There is more analysis to be done in the meantime to make this as useful to the forum and as meaningful to the safe shooting sports community in general as possible.

Alden,

Don't worry. they will easily sell them to the regulars who visit their store. They are not bad people, just have a different idea of historical accuracy. I am also sure their St. Augustine Olde Town address doesn't rent for cheap. I found them amusing and a bit quaint but not crooks. My grandson thought they were "way cool." Jack Sparrow would be right at home!

I thought I had already corrected you but probably didn't...

They moved to Tampa (Gasparilla is there) where they are at least as flamboyant as Jack Sparrow, no doubt of that. Their Captain, Tiger Lee of the South China Sea, oh boy, is actually a photographer.

For some reason, it sort of reminds me of the old pirate movie "Pirates of Blood River" from 1962, where the British studio didn't have it in the budget for a ship (even a mockup one), so they shot the whole thing on land with never a hint of the sea. One of the few, if not the only films of the type so done.

Back