• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pipe and tobacco

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pardon me for pointing out that YOUR RIGHTS are in NO way superior to anyone else's RIGHTS. = It is therefore my contention that things like smoking in cafes/bars/etc. should be left strictly up to the OWNER of the private property & NO outdoor area should be allowed to be designated "a prohibited area".
(NOBODY has the RIGHT to NOT "be offended by" any other person's lawful behavior.)

Moreover, IF I own a café/bar & choose to allow smoking, it's NOBODY's business but MINE & those who are "bothered by 2nd hand smoke" can go ELSEWHERE. = That's the meaning of "private property".

Furher, the "public nannies & anti-smoking/anti-alcohol "crazies" are now trying to prohibit smoking/alcohol in people's own homes, on their private property & within personal vehicles (to quote one CA Congress-critter), "if anyone in the general public objects to their unhealthful behavior".

To me, one of the BEST parts of The US Constitution says, "Congress shall make no law prohibiting - - - - -".

yours, satx

It's amusing that you think smoking is a right, where it is in no way protected by any law I know of. Also, a restaurant is not "private" property in the strictest sense of the word. The owner invites the public in which is how he says in business. This makes it a public business privately owned. Once you open your business to the public, you're bound by certain rules. One example, is for safety...you can't crowd too many people in a closed space without violating fire codes.

I think there is a public safety issue in involuntarily inhaling secondhand smoke. Same rules apply as overcrowding a restaurant.

I'm a bit confused by your partial quote of the Constitution: "Congress shall make no law...". This is Amendment 1, has to do with establishing no state religion, has nothing to do with smoking.

I'm a big fan of Churchwarden pipes an my personal favorite shop is called Just for Him , in Springfield, MO. I don't live anywhere near there now, the Army has decided it is in the best interest of National Defense that I live elsewhere. However they have a great website. I'm a love their Sola Scriptura blend and their Shortcut to Mushrooms blend

I'm a big fan of Churchwarden pipes

Yes so am I. I went to Davidus Cigars - Frederick MD and picked up a new CW pipe, AND..., they have their own Virginia Flake tobacco which is around $4 less expensive than Blackwoods Flake YET it is very similar to the more expensive product. (both being all Virginia tobaccos, so possibly a "right" fit for a historic setting). Unfortunately the website does not show anything except cigars. :(

I would suggest though that if you go with something premium like either of the above that I mention, that you use the same clay pipe for that and only that, as other tobaccos will mar the flavor due to residue left within the clay.

LD

Churchwardens are a pia to attemp to camp or track with one. However when you sit. back to smoke one they are a joy. A churhwared is just fun. You can be contemplative, or sharing light conversation with one, and they just add joy.
Indians smoked a lot of small easy to use pipes, however it's the long cerimonial pipes we recall, two or more smoking off of one pipe. There is just something magical about a long pipe. Be it a cerimoral, or a churchwarden or a big German porciline or a calabash type often handed out to Sherlock Holmes actors. It's just a joy.

You know one of the things that you can do to clean clay pipes is put them in the fire. It burns out the tars and other residues. That's one of the main reasons so many pipe parts were found in fireplaces.

You can also clean them over a gas stove by holding them in the blue flame...just don't burn your fingers. Oven mitts work well. Here's a couple of pictures of a pipe that was cleaned by holding it in the stove flame:

SNV30017.jpg

SNV30016.jpg

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:
Dan

I use bourbon and a good cotton pipe cleaner. The tar disolves easily with alcohol and you get a very clean pipe.

You're right, you can "cure" a pipe in a campfire. I've done it many times. It's the between cleanings as you smoke that you want to "dedicate" either a style of tobacco or a specific brand.

Important Safety Tip..., if you're going to cure a clay pipe, make sure you have cleaned the stem with a pipe cleaner, AND it has been 24 hours since your last bowl, otherwise residual moisture in the clay might turn to steam and burst your pipe. :shocked2:

For example if you like a straight Virginia, then you can also smoke a Viginia Flake, but you might not want to mix a rum flake or a cut whiskey in with those, as you might lose a lot of the rum or whiskey flavor, and that's the point of using those flavored blends. If you're going more modern, and using a vanilla, apple, or cherry cased tobacco, a straight VA probably would not be a problem as they are often mixed with that, but something very dark and very robust would mar those flavors in the future.

On the other hand there have been times in the field when I just wanted to smoke a bowl, and didn't care what I was putting in the pipe, as long as it was proper pipe tobacco. I draw the line at corn silk and/or rabbit poop...though I have done some kinnicinic and also some strawberry, mint, and catnip leaves....

LD

IF I have whiskey and a camp fire..., I'm drinkin' the whiskey and using the fire to "cure" my pipe, thank you. :haha:

I have also noticed that while one may wipe out the bowl on a clay or briar pipe with alcohol, on a clay pipe I get tar and other impurities about an inch or two up the stem. Fire works well to cure the whole pipe.

LD

As its use dated back into the 18th century, can a real Meerschaum pipe be cleaned by roasting it in a fire without damaging it?

Zonie said:
As its use dated back into the 18th century, can a real Meerschaum pipe be cleaned by roasting it in a fire without damaging it?
I'd be real wary of trying that experiment. Meerschaum pipes are awfully expensive. I'd sure hate to ruin one of mine.

Zonie, I have never heard of cleaning a meerschaum pipe in a fire. Although a type of clay, it isn't baked like a regular, molded clay pipe. It is carved from a block of the material. Any warmth is just to dry the meerschaum after it's carved and when the stem is fitted. Cleaning involves scraping the bowl of any build-up and making sure moisture is allowed to air dry. I don't know if a fire would destroy the pipe but it would certainly discolor one.

Jeff

Back