• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pipe and tobacco

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm racking my brain on this one to remember if I've seen anything in my research. I don't think I have.

You might check the 18th Century Material Culture Resource Center and look up smoking. They're pretty stellar. They've got a whole series of slideshows on smoking related artifacts here. You've got to view it on a computer, though, I'm pretty sure. (Scribd is strange).

One thing I do remember from my research is that broken pipes abound at archaeological sites haha

I don't carry a pipe but I have seen a number of the shorter clay pipes carried on cocked hats - tucked under the laces holding the cocked portion up & with the bowl turned down (presumably to keep rain out).

A gage d'amore was used, most likely similar bags used for the same way I. More general areas. A heart shaped bag wilt tobacco and loops in the front to hold the pipe. Worn around the neck.Many pipes were about the size to fit in a weskit pocket. When reed stem pipes became popular they became easier to carry. I've seen pipe boxes for short clays but I don't know how old they are. Broken pipes are very common in sites

A couple or three ways...OK maybe four....

Buy several and expect them to break, so carry a spare...pricey at $8 or more a pipe...OH for anybody wearing a cocked [tricorn] hat and you don't put the pipe at the back of the hat...but up in the brim OR if you wear a "Viriginia Round Hat" styled hat and put the pipe up in the fold...expect it to fall out when you look down, and break. :(

Wrap them in a couple of socks and carry them verticle in a haversack or pocket, but you have to be careful when sitting down.

Wooden sliding lidded box, with fabric cushion. Relly big piece of bamboo fashioned into a box with fabric cushioning.....

OR get yourself a Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipe..., and cut off the factory stem at the point where it enters the cob. Then with a thin knife or the awl from a Swiss Army Knife, open the hole in the bit of stem remaining in the bowl, so that you can insert a piece of plain reed as a stem for the corn cob pipe. If you drop them they don't break and you can remove the stem from the bowl to avoid breaking it off. I get stems from my garden center as they sell untreated reed as tomato stakes, and I cut off a piece, then use a pencil sharpener to cone one end to fit into the pipe bowl.

LD

Thanks LD!! Love the bamboo idea!!

I have one clay pipe, which I bought as a 10 year old kid at Old Sturbridge Village, and I've been carrying it around for a long time. I think its time to use it!!

A clay stem piped needs to be held by the stem, as the bowl gets hot. Don't try to hold it between your teeth as you will break off bits of clay and it's none too tasty.
Buy your tobacco at a smoke shoppe in bulk. Stuff sold at the grocery store or the smoke section at wal mart has presevitives in the tobacco that make them burn hot and give the bite to the smoke. Avoid the cherry or vanilla or such flavored smokes as the sugars in the flavor tend to make it hot.many good smokes may not taste real good the first two or three times you try it. Don't ignore a smoke based on one bowl.
Pipe smoking is a joy enjoy it slowly.

Thank you for the advice! I have a supply of pipe tobacco here already that we use in other pipes, just haven't used the clay one to date. I also enjoy a good cigar!

By 1740 reed stem pipes were used. I don't think any one makes a copy of the earlies reed stem pipes. Those had short stems an inch or so long, and either stuck into or were stuck by the reed or other hollow stem.

The clay stem was about an inch, looks much like the stem was just broke, but looking at the end you can see that was the edge of the mold.
Townsend does his research, but I haven't seen his style pipe from before 1800. Unfortunately pipe research is sadly underdone. Most old pipes in sites are clay stemmed and broke.

I use the reed stem clay pipe. Not only for the durability but they are much easier on the teeth as well as a milder smoke.

HPIM2767-1.jpg

tenngun said:
The clay stem was about an inch, looks much like the stem was just broke, but looking at the end you can see that was the edge of the mold.

Spence

I don't know how to get a photo from the net to my phone to the forum. However if you look at the church wardens you have shown there and about one inch back the stem is cut off flat and that tip shoved in to a reed you'll have a good idea of the first ones.
Yeah all mine are like the other reed stems you have there. I hate the chips of clay in your teeth. I just can't find them before 1800, that's ok with me, as mine time is about 1815. I do plan to hit a 1790s event in the spring, and maybe a few more.

CWB tells about the Taverns and clay pipes,the user just broke the end off the stem and smoked and the next user did the same. That was the reason given for the pipes found had short stems,common pipes in taverns,!!

Latest posts

Back