• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta 1860 Army Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TrapperDude,
Do you use a wad at all in your loads? Just curious. BTW, I have a Taylor's Uberti Remmy antique finish. I love it. Thanks
I use cork discs behind the balls to keep the lube I smear around the chamber mouths behind the balls from touching the powder. I just load powder and drop a disk over it, using a shortclearing rod section to make sure the disk is flat on the powder. After that, I use my fingertip to smear a small amount of lube around the chamber mouth before seating and ramming home a ball over it all. I should probably make some lube cookies to go over the discs. It would be more convenient.

Thank you TrapperDude. I appreciate the info. Here’s a picture of my one and only Remington.
1638893892819.jpeg

Wow!!! Very nice!! Stainless? I like it!! :thumb:
Thanks! If I could get every one of my pieces in stainless, I would. I really like the worry-free clean up with it, and that armory bright look is pretty sharp.

I even sprang for a couple of extra stainless cylinders to go with it. I just need two more sets of SlixPrings nipples for those, too.

Thanks! If I could get every one of my pieces in stainless, I would. I really like the worry-free clean up with it, and that armory bright look is pretty sharp.

I even sprang for a couple of extra stainless cylinders to go with it. I just need two more sets of SlixPrings nipples for those, too.
I need the slix myself. Can you get those in stainless?

when I was framing houses most were on big farms that got cut up into 5 acre lots by greedy lazy kids after their parents died. I would bring the brass 1858 every day to the job for months firing it 50 60 times with 30 grains of BP along with me and 3 guys working for me. we set up a short 2x8 or 10 with the pistol in hand next to the knee and fire it from the hip. it was a lot of fun powder was cheap and available before all the hoarding
Neat story! Very cool. About the breaking up of land, though, taxes, taxes, and taxes, often force families to sell. Also, not every family enjoys happy relations between the siblings or whoever. Sometimes Cousin Cos or Sister Sue just want the money and love the cities. Good to read about someone who actually used and shot such pistols. Thanks.

As far as I know, that's the only way they come. They look pretty cool on a stainless cylinder, and they'll look really nice against that antiqued finish on yours.
I guess that makes for easier cleanup?

I gotta think, though, that the replica makers didn't use Ordnance grade. These revolvers across the board generally sold for Less that the steel-frame guns.
I would tend to agree with you. That would have added to the cost substantially. I've seen too many Italian replicas destroyed by using full house loads to think otherwise.

Pyrodex is a little hotter than real BP in similar granulations. What cal is the 1860?
.44? Pietta produces many unusual combinations. The naval engraving on an
Army revolver- Ill have to check that further. I understand the 1851 engraving.
I have held an original 1860 without such roll engraving.
WL, Hi. I too have seen some without the engraving as well as fluted cylinders? The fluted ones look kind of nice to me.

WL, Hi. I too have seen some without the engraving as well as fluted cylinders? The fluted ones look kind of nice to me.
I was reading that the fluted cylinder models weren't manufactured for long because the chambers were blowing out. If they made fluted cylinders today, though, they'd probably be fine because of superior modern metallurgy.

I was reading that the fluted cylinder models weren't manufactured for long because the chambers were blowing out. If they made fluted cylinders today, though, they'd probably be fine because of superior modern metallurgy.
TrapperDude, Hi. Yes, I have seen new ones currently unavailable on Midway. So maybe like you say they are beefier cylinders?:thumb:

both manufacturers make full fluted revolvers. The problem with the original revolver was the chambers were bored straight to the nipple and that created a thin cylinder wall. Colt discontinued the fluted cylinder and began boring all of the Army model revolvers with a tapered chamber. The Cavalry chamber.
There are some ROAs with Brass grip frame, not sure if ithey are factory.
A limited number came from the factory with the brass grip frame. For a time there was also an aftermarket brass dragoon frame available for the Old Army. I’ve never found one I would buy for the asking price so I’ve resorted to using the Super Blackhawk Dragoon frame or the aftermarket version offered by Clark and others.

Back